• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

modifying zenith 7d31 amp console

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Folks,
I need a bit of help here. I am pretty green to this stuff.
I have a Zenith EL84 PP console amp that I am modifying to a stand alone unit. Model is 7d31. I have attached a schematic, I hope it is readable.
If you notice this has a fairly non-conventional set up with the OPT's. One opt feeds into the other. I would like to replace those with a more suitable, more traditional set up. Probably something from Edcor.

Here is my question, on the schematic the opt's get b+ and then are connected to the plate. The screens are tied together. The opt's from Edcor show the b+, plate, and screen connections. IF I wanted to put in the edcor opt, I assume that all I need to do is change the connection on the schematic. Disconnect the screens from eachother and hook them into the screens on the new OPT;s. Is this correct?

BTW, I measured the impedance on the current OPT's, and assuming an 8 ohm impedance load, the opts measure at 1.2k. I checked, double checked, and rechecked. They are 1.2k. Screwy as heck to me. Mu understanding is that EL84's need about 8k opt's

Finaly, I noticed several other little things that need changed. For example, the resistor/cap in the feedback loop. I am going to copy the values from the HK230 ballad. It looks like a fairly similar ciorcuit. Change the values to 39k and 22pf for each side.

SO, if you have any suggestions or can help, I'll owe you one!

Mark

Attachments

• 7d31schematic.jpg
    7d31schematic.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 226
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.