Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2009, 04:30 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tube Amp for MP3 Player

Hi all!

I'm looking to build a small, simple tube amp for my kid's iPod. I'd like something simple, great sounding.

Not looking for a kit, just a layout or something like that, the simpler the better. I'm familiar with guitar amps, and it'd be great if I could plug into a champ, for example, but I tried and it sounds awful! lol

It's going to be a present so I'd like to get started as soon as possible... Thanks to all for any info on this subject...

Last edited by Trex2009; 20th October 2009 at 04:45 AM.
Old 20th October 2009, 04:48 AM   #2
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

50EH5 Single-Ended (SE) DIY Tube Amplifier Project

Or maybe something with 13EM7s...I remember seeing a schematic a couple days ago, but I forget where I'm using the 6-volt version as driver tubes, and they work great...
Old 20th October 2009, 05:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

plenty of short form kits that would be the business - or a Simple SE from George?

Options here too

Last edited by aardvarkash10; 20th October 2009 at 05:11 AM.
Old 20th October 2009, 05:11 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've built a couple guitar amps, I wish I could plug into one with the iPod (I tried, sounded real bad! lol)...

I'm looking for a layout diagram, or an easy to read schematic.

Maybe something like the iTube without the dock, a line in is enough. The simpler the better. I really don't want a kit, I'd like to make something with a personal touch.

I was hoping to get some layout for a simple amp, nothing fancy.

I really appreciate all the responses here, specially given the fact I'm the new guy and all...
Old 20th October 2009, 05:22 AM   #5
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex2009 View Post
Hi all!

I'm looking to build a small, simple tube amp for my kid's iPod. I'd like something simple, great sounding.

Not looking for a kit, just a layout or something like that, the simpler the better. I'm familiar with guitar amps, and it'd be great if I could plug into a champ, for example, but I tried and it sounds awful! lol

It's going to be a present so I'd like to get started as soon as possible... Thanks to all for any info on this subject...
Pick the speakers fist. How big can you make them. The bigger the better. Large highly sensitive speakers mean you can use less power.

The Champ sounded bad because a guitar amp shapes the sound mostly by boosting the mid range and killing the lows and highs.

I'd think something like a HiFi version of the Champ would be perfect. The Champ is a 6V6 powered single ended amp. A "hifi champ" would have two channels so it would be like two champs sharing one larger power supply. But it would have much lower gain and it would loose the tone stack have a bigger/better output transformer and play through a different speaker, maybe a pair of 5" full range speakers. But the basic "champ" plan is ideal for this.

With hifi the physical design of the speaker cabinet matters a LOT more than with a guitar amp. You need to actually design the cabinet based some calculations. It's a bit of an art and has a major and dramatic effect of the sound. The Fender Champ is just open back ("open baffle" in hifi-speak). Your "hifi champ" would more likely be a bass reflex design cabinet. so as to get decent bass in a smaller package.
Old 20th October 2009, 05:31 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Pick the speakers fist. How big can you make them. The bigger the better. Large highly sensitive speakers mean you can use less power.

The Champ sounded bad because a guitar amp shapes the sound mostly by boosting the mid range and killing the lows and highs.

I'd think something like a HiFi version of the Champ would be perfect. The Champ is a 6V6 powered single ended amp. A "hifi champ" would have two channels so it would be like two champs sharing one larger power supply. But it would have much lower gain and it would loose the tone stack have a bigger/better output transformer and play through a different speaker, maybe a pair of 5" full range speakers. But the basic "champ" plan is ideal for this.

With hifi the physical design of the speaker cabinet matters a LOT more than with a guitar amp. You need to actually design the cabinet based some calculations. It's a bit of an art and has a major and dramatic effect of the sound. The Fender Champ is just open back ("open baffle" in hifi-speak). Your "hifi champ" would more likely be a bass reflex design cabinet. so as to get decent bass in a smaller package.
Alright, this is getting somewhere!

I built a champ in the past, from scratch, and I just finished an EVJ, gutted, everything new and handwired.

What mods do I need to implement here? I can turn the champ into a "head", and get a nice hi-fi cabinet for the speakers, or buy the speakers at the store, in a set.

So, any place where I can get info on the mods needed to turn the champ into a hi-fi amp?
Old 20th October 2009, 05:35 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Oh, btw, here's the reference to the layout I was talking about, I followed this to make my own little guy...
https://taweber.powweb.com/store/5f1_layout.jpg
Old 20th October 2009, 06:18 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

if you are in the USA, I'd be tempted to go here for speakers and Georges Simple SE for the amp
Old 20th October 2009, 06:22 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yeah, in the U.S. of A....

I need all the help I can get here, you don't talk to me about of Celestions and I know nothing about speakers! lol
Old 20th October 2009, 06:59 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

hence the burros - nothing simpler than an OB full range speaker... and the price /performance equation is good too.

Hide this!Advertise here!