• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Adjusting the sensitivity on a 6e2 magic eye tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there

I have a yaqin 5881 tube amp (schematics attached). I have done a few mods ie change the coupling caps and re-wire the output to triode. Does anybody know how to mod the magic eye tube / circuit so the peak level indicator displays at lower volumes?

I have tried shorting the 10k resistor from the 8ohm output tap. That increases the sensitivity a little however the volume still needs to be quite loud for the indicator to move. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• mc-5881_english.jpg
    mc-5881_english.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 308
Perhaps replacing that standard 1N4148 silicone diode with a more sensitive type like a schottky or even a germanium would help. Reducing or removing the .1ufd cap after the diode could also help. It's there to smooth out the rapid fluctuations of the signal and give a more stable indication. Of course you'll loose the intended purpose of a peak indicator.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Another possibility would be to take the drive for the 6E2 from one of the output tube plates and capacitively couple it and pad it down substantially. You could use a 100K resistor and 10K pot and this would give you a substantial adjustment range. Use a 2W resistor, and 1kV film or ceramic cap of about 0.022uF - 0.047uF or so.. And be careful as the ac + dc voltage components present with signal applied could be 700V - 1kV at full power depending on supply voltage. (Figure up to 2X the supply voltage at the CT of your OPT and you get the picture.)

Hi there

I have a yaqin 5881 tube amp (schematics attached). I have done a few mods ie change the coupling caps and re-wire the output to triode. Does anybody know how to mod the magic eye tube / circuit so the peak level indicator displays at lower volumes?

I have tried shorting the 10k resistor from the 8ohm output tap. That increases the sensitivity a little however the volume still needs to be quite loud for the indicator to move. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi bbbing,

did you get any good results increasing the sensitivity of the 6E2 tubes. I have the same amp and i tried a lot to make the bars gone @ normal volume settings. I hope you have found a way :)

Regards ... Jim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.