• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New (old) Friends

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I finally got around to trying my SE KT88 (Mikael Abdellah design) with my old Altec's.
Really, really nice! I forgot how much I loved theses speakers! Too bad they've been living in the basement for the last 15 years.
I really didn't think this amp had much bass until I tried this setup. I started with EL34's, and found the sound a little "bright/punchy" for my taste. After putting the KT88's back in, BINGO! awesome sound!
Now I'm going to have to try a few of my other tubes I have for this amp, KT66, 6G6, 6CA7's. Also have to get a proper source instead of that Ipod :(
The gong at the end of Knights in White Satin was chilling :D
Hopefully I can talk the Wife into moving them out of the man cave.

Glenn

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The Man Cave

"Hopefully I can talk the wife into moving them out of the man cave"
As I see it, if your not profoundly attached to your gear....Those Altec Lansings really need an esthetic(sp?) update. Unless your into fifties retro style furniture, those Altecs need a redo.
"It's the retro look honey!"....That really doesn't fly..at least around our household.
The amp looks more at home in a ham shack......& not the living room.
Just trying to help.

_____________________________________________________________Rick....

Aesthetics aside, does your wife like to listen to music?

For the first three years of our marriage (engaged for 5 years, second time around) my wife insisted on a QualaSonic all in one cd/tape/am-fm... up stairs in the living room.

In the den downstairs I have my system which she does not listen to (Klipsch Herese, Sony STR5600SD, etc).

Gradually I convinced her to let me hook up my old Kenwood KL-5050s to the Qualasonic. Next came setting up the the Magnavox MX931 and Pioneer CD changer. There were several setbacks where she claimed the previous configuration sounded better, but within a seek she had me bring the 'upgrade' back. Finally I hooked up the second set of Klipsch Heresy speakers, and now she won't let me touch it any more.

I'll put my tube equipment in the den when I build it, and make a second set for later on. Eventually I believe I will have tube equipment up stairs as well as downstairs.

"Hopefully I can talk the wife into moving them out of the man cave"
As I see it, if your not profoundly attached to your gear....Those Altec Lansings really need an esthetic(sp?) update. Unless your into fifties retro style furniture, those Altecs need a redo.
"It's the retro look honey!"....That really doesn't fly..at least around our household.
The amp looks more at home in a ham shack......& not the living room.
Just trying to help.

_____________________________________________________________Rick....

Ahh come on... I think they look great! Plus, its your house too! That said, if you need to get rid on them I'll pay the postage ;)

Yeah, I know they're ugly, but they sound so nice. I guess being an Engineer I go for more function than aesthetics. I'm going to take the HAM shack as a compliment because that's my other hobby :D See the Zenith Chairside to the right?
They did have that punched fiberboard grill on them when I first got them like the Valencia's. I actually think they look better with just the black grills.
The Wife loves music, but I think she doesn't notice the differences between "real" Hi-Fi equipment and Best Buy Crap so she's not willing to put up with the looks. Plus I think I pushed things a little much when I moved my Marshall half-stack into the spare bedroom :)

I did have a question about crossovers on these speakers. When I bought them from my buddy, I just bought the cabs so I loaded them with the drivers for an A7 setup (which is what he had). The crossovers I have in one is an N1209-8A, and the other is a 904-8A. Now I know these are not correct, but at the time the crossovers were difficult to find (pre EBay days). Now I think the correct crossover is an N501-8A, does anyone else here run A7's, and if so, what crossovers are you using.
If I can't find any I was thinking of making my own, I have the N501-8A schematic. I think I've read people actually prefer the crossover point at 800Hz instead of the 500Hz (I have 511 horns in these).

Any opinions?

Thanks everyone.

Glenn, that SE KT88 is truly an inspiration! I have a pair of Klipsch La Scala's that I could probably use with a SET amp. I have a few projects going, but I am looking forward to building the SE KT88. I just ordered ASC motor run caps, 0.5W metal film resistors, Sovtek 6N1P, and a matched pair of Genalex Gold Lion KT88 tubes...

Lascala's have always been another favorite of mine, anything Klipsh makes is good in my opinion.
I've benn looking at the reissue Gold Lion KT88's myself, let me know what you think.
These Altec's are rated for 102db, so they work very well with a low power SET amp. I've always liked the horn sound so it's my cup of tea so to speak, to each his/her own.
Please post pictures of you build!
Glenn

The truth is, I got these La Scalas from a friend who was dying to get rid of them. One speaker is intact, and the other is mostly in the component stage - original horn assembly, crossover, and woofer, everything but bottom half of the enclosure that houses the woofer. I even have the original brochure. He thought he'd use the components to build a smaller enclosure. After 30 years, that never happened. With the thought of a 104dB/W/m speaker, I picked them up, then I realized that these are too big. It's basic 3/4 plywood construction, so I am deciding to complete the matching enclosure or to dump it off as is?...

Glenn, if it wasn't for your thorough build, I would not have tackled the SE KT88 project. I was deciding between this and the Odd Block Class A UL 12SL7 SRPP/KT88 SIPP Tube Amp. I may build that after I successfully complete this current one. I'll definitely keep you posted on the progress and the Genalex tubes.

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.