• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

KT88 blocks? With E80CC + 6922 driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi.

I have no idea where I should start.
I have an amplifier I want to kill (reads; salvage parts from). So I have some kt88`s, and a bunch of 6922 + one pair of E80CC that match very well together. The transformers are good enough, so I will use them too.

I looked around for something to base the project on (I have no clue about tubes, been soldering a lot, but not much on tube gear). I found this PCB in some thread here:
http://euphoniaaudio.netfirms.com/e...d=100&osCsid=16026765070727847c3f70011c917a56

And I have been looking at this "Einstein" solution for a while:
http://www.tubecad.com/2004/blog0025.htm

Again, I have no real knowledge about tubes, the last link is evolved around an EL84 design, and it`s also SE, is it possible to make something like this with KT88 tubes, and with PP/UL?

The amp I have now annoys me with noise, I can barely hear it, but it`s enough to know it`s there, since I am planning new 103 db/w speakers, i have to do something about it. I have some brand new caps in there i will also salvage, but the rest is going to the bin.

So to keep it short, I want KT88 ultra linear with E80CC + 6922 driver stage, with NO NOISE.

Possible?

Suggestion: input/driver tubes are cheap. Instead of deciding what the input/driver tubes have to be, then trying to design a circuit around them, why not design the circuit and then decide what the tubes have to be?

You might check the schematics at Allen Wright's site- he uses a hybrid cascode with ECC88 (6922 is a substitute), which is a fine driver stage. www.vacuumstate.com

Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I do see your point.

I realize it's possible to use alot of different things for the driver stage, and I understand that I may have formulated things better.

The main thing is really the KT88 UL thing.
Is it even remotely possible, to combine a good KT88 design with this:
12-30_Einstein_6.gif

?

I can figure out the other tubes later, but it would be really nice to be able to use the ones I have right now.

That's probably not your best starting point. A PP design will be intrinsically quieter because of the common mode cancellation. So you really don't need to do anything exotic in the design like Broskie does here for the SE circuit. I'd still recommend a more conventional PP circuit, but pay close attention to grounding and use a good quality regulator. That should satisfy your need for quiet operation and excellent dynamics. Allen Wright's PP1C amp could certainly accommodate KT88 in UL.

New Mandated FTC Disclosure: Broskie has given me circuit boards. I have given him transformers. Earl Grey has provided the tea I'm drinking. Allen Wright bought me a beer and autographed his book.

Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
boywonder: the transformers are for PP.

SHiFTY: It's a Music Angel XDSE-800 MK2 or MK3, not really sure. It was bought as an MK2, but it there are some changes in it that makes it seem like an MK3.

I've changed most big caps, most of the wiring, and put in faster diodes. I am still not satisfied with the noise floor. And it also seems to oscillate just a tiny bit (was far worse to begin with). It's a lot better than what i thought i would get originally though.

Was thinking of just making mono blocks with the best parts, making it all point to point, and make the psu external.

boywonder: the transformers are for PP.

Was thinking of just making mono blocks with the best parts, making it all point to point, and make the psu external.

Since your OT's are PP, looks like SE is out of the question. (your schema posted above is SE, that's why I was asking about your transformers)

Have you checked out the Mono Bill? It's PP KT88 UL

http://www.triodedick.com/pdf_files_td/MonoBill.pdf

http://www.triodedick.com/pdf_pagina.htm

There is also a version II of the Mono Bill:

http://translate.google.com/transla...refox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=ADK

Last edited:
Hi again.

I am reading up on the MonoBill, so far it seems interesting.

The reason why I posted that schema of the SE circuit, was that it had a very interesting way of dealing with noise cancellation from the PSU. And I was wondering if it would be possible to use the same principle in a PP amplifier. Because usually in PP designs (at least as far as I know), you are likely just about double the noise, as well as almost doubling the power output, compared to SE designs.

And I want something quiet, with a lot of power, using parts that I already have, and it has to be tubes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.