• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Found this Trio WX-400

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys so this is my first post here and i wanted to kinda show off my findings.

My city recently had a freecycle day and i found this baby sitting on the curbside staring me down. I swerved over to the side of the road and found a note ontop of this, it read " Free please dont take this and destroy it, i just dont understand it or have any use for it. Give it a good home I work fine."

I picked ut up dusted it off and put it in my trunk along with a pair of AR3-A tower speakers(I will post about later).
So here is what she looks like opened up in all her glory..
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
It had a manual and the wiring schematics and everything.
So i got home and plugged it in and wow the fabulous warming sounds it produced.
So i was just wanting to know if anyone out there can provide me with some info on this thing here. the total model name is :Trio WX-400 valve (tube) receiver
(tuner amplifier.) 1962
Is this thing worth anything or is it just another piece of history.

Looks like a nice PP EL84 amp.... Can you post the schema?

dave

Here are some poor photos i took, i am trying to get the scanner working atm but with no luck. Also found tucked in the manual a note from the manufacturer. Its typwritten and highly faded but it says:

STEREO INDICATOR ADJUSTMENT
This unit is now equipped with a special control at the rear which permits adjustment of the sensitivity of the electronic stereo indicator circuit. This stereo Indicator control has been preset at the factory and will not usually require further adjustment. However, if you find that the stereo indicator does not fully close on a relativity weak stereo station, you can re-adjust the control for increased sensitivity as indicated below.
Tune in the weakest of the stereo stations which you listen. Adjust the stereo indicator control so that the tuning indicator just closes (no shadow area). On strong stereo stations the indicator will overlap, this is perfectly normal. As a final check on the action of the indicator, tune in various strong monophonic stations and not the reaction of the indicator ......... it should never close fully as it does in the case of a stereo station
Once i get my scanner up and running i will be posting all the images as well as a complete page by page of the manual as its only 8 pages long.

Anyone have a good idea on how to clean the dust out of the insides of the amplifier? will compressed air damage the tubes or anything? I am quite a newb to tubes. so any info would be great.
xepx5d.jpg

zlor4n.jpg

I also noticed on the scematics that there have been some revisions done in pen, just written over top the printed diagram.

Okay, well isopropyl is easily avail here in Canada i get the 99% stuff only way to go. Anyways, i am clueless about this amplifier, im looking to sell it and dont wanna short change myself. The condition is 'working' meaning that it turns on and all the inputs work, aux, am,fm,fm stereo, the volume needs some cleaning or something as no static, and the right channel cuts in a out, everything else is smooth clean and distortion free upon use. I dont know if its a good thing or not but all the tubes have a orange glowing filament. (i hope that's normal) If anyone can give me a honest opinion on what i should list thing for on ebay. I would really appreciate it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.