• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Big Box O' Tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I found one of those "Big box of tubes" auctions on Audiogon and nobody was bidding on it so I bid 1.00 and ended up winning. The seller had it listed as "lots of vintage tubes, no time so sort through."

So, here is a partial list of what I ended up with. These are the tubes I either recognized, or had lots of:

BIG BOX O’ TUBES

6SK7GT (12)
12SK7GT/G (15)
6SH7L (13)
6SJ7GT (1)
6SN7GT (3)
6SL7GT (6)

5U4GA (1)
5U4GB (2)
5R4GYB (2)
5Z3 (1)
5R4GY (1)
5V4GA (1)
5Y3GT (2)

80 (2)
83 (2)

VR150 (4)
VR105 (3)

12AS7GT/G (4)

I probably have another 75+ tubes that either I've never seen/heard of or are missing identification.

So what do you think? Good haul? I'm sure I can figure out what to do with a few of these, but I have no idea on some of this stuff (the VR150 & VR105 for example and especially the PILE of 12SK7GT or 6SK7GT). As for all the odd ball tubes, I'll post them soon because I have no idea if they're even audio tubes.

Thanks in advance!

:eek: very good haul

the SK7 tubes seem variable mu triodes, which are not useable for most listening audio, for they will distort much, inherently.

they are meant for tank loaded stages, and their gain can then be controlled by a more or less negative DC voltage imposed on the grid. (usually derived from the amplitude of the very signal they amplify).

those VR tubes are basically tube zeners, by functionality, however are based on gas ionization, and most have beautiful striking optical properties while in operation.
http://www.decware.com/newsite/minitoriise.htm about half way down some nice pics.

at least very lenient ;p

in there there are already a few line amps, one or more power amplifier frontends,
many guitar and "audio grade" rectifiers, and even a few mercury vapour rectifiers with just as gorgeous optical effects as those VR tubes.

i have a very small box from a dude who obviously took some tv's apart, also 1 euro or so.

in it about 150 W of cb amplifier in pl504, some ecc 81, -82, -83, 2x EL 95 (cute mini power penthodes), ec 86 (one can apparently build a 0v oscillator with it, powered by the thermionic electron "pressure" alone), ec 88(used in my amp for a while) ef183 (variable mu) and ef184 (sharp cutoff), both used in a homebrew shortwave receiver. el 509 (more cb power ;p), bunch of magnoval tubes i have no sockets for, pcf80, el83,
well this was about half ;p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.