• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My first cadge in over 1500 posts!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
RE:No one knows anything?

Hi,

John, I did a google and only found a few references, mostly to people selling a second hand unit or occasionally a dealer.

From what I recall this is a U.K. company so, maybe looking in the phonebooks or the internet phone listings may help?

BT or some other telcom companies operating in the U.K.?

Cheers,;)

Art Audio VP1

The Art Audio company was run by Tom Willis from a suburb of Nottingham (UK). Its factory address was 130 Main Street, Calverton, Nottingham, NG14 6LV. Whether that is still valid. I don't know. The American company of the same name is run by Tom's son-in-law ; I think the single-ended amps are actually produced in the UK. As I remember the VP1, it wasn't rather undistinguished sounding (it's that ECC82 guys).

Thank you and welcome

Thank you Barretter:bulb: , I'll check them out.

Although I asked for a schematic, I was hoping for a manual. I'm particularly interested in what the weighted S/N should be.

I see that was your first post on this forum. It's good to have another member interested in valve amplification, and you are most welcome to join us. :cool:

Cheers,

VP1

Thank you for your thanks. What I meant to say, of course, was that "the VP1 was somewhat undistinguished sounding", rather bland in comparison with the preamps by Doug Dunlop and Peter Bruty we had in the shop in those days (early 90s) but probably as good as a Croft.

Attachments

• barrettor.jpg
    barrettor.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 142
Barretter,

Yes, it looks rather undistinguished, but a friend wanted it looked at. The S/N seems unimpressive, which seems to be due to the wiring arrangement. I wanted to check out the S/N against the expected figure, and to see from the schematic, how the large bundles of screened cable get earthed, without having to unbundle them.

Cheers,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.