• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6DJ8 vs 6N1P (6H1N)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought 10 of the 6N1P (6H1π) tubes that are advertised as equivalent to the 6DJ8.

In testing them I'm getting a Gm of around 800 for the 6H1π compared to 12,500 for 6DJ8s pulled from a 545 oscilloscope.

Has anyone had any experience with the 6H1π tubes? How do they work on low noise input amp circuits (which is what I plan on using them in)?

Thanks.

Steven

800? Should be closer to 8000.

6N1P ~= 6922 (with less Gm anyway) in plate voltage ratings. Often it is subbed for a 6DJ8 in many apps and can work well there.

But if the goal is say a phono input stage or mic stage, a 6DJ8 will outperform, if run at high Ia to take advantage of the high Gm (which most designs don't).

6N1P is a gorgeous, clean, clear sounding tube. I like it :)

Cheers!

Gm was 4000, not 800. Read wrong scale.

4000 would be high for 6SN7, but 6SN7 is tested differently on this test set, and when the 6N1P is tested that way it comes out near 3400Gm, which is reasonable.

So these are more an equivalent of the 6SN7.

I may watch for some 6N23Ps, thanks.

First photo is 6N1P, second photo is 6DJ8. Both have filament voltage adjusted near 6.3V.

Attachments

• Small_6N1P-EV.JPG
    Small_6N1P-EV.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 2,621
  • Small_6DJ8.JPG
    Small_6DJ8.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 2,503
Last edited:
6N1P & 6N2P it's have some difference. But before buying you need check if this NOS (New Old Stock) or Used tubes. If cann't find in description look at the photos. Factory made it's important to, here you can view NOS 6N1P-EV tubes.

"EV" symbols mean, that tube have high mechanical strength and reliability, increased durability

Well i have 6N2P's from Voskhod... and its true they sound very bad.

Ive got some 6N1P's with a red discription from ebay and they sound good to me :)

All the Russian tubes I've ordered have been advertised as NOS.

The 6N1P are all marked 6H1n-BN, 92@07, OTK with a 9 inside a diamond.
The 6N2P are all marked 6H2n-EB, OTK1, 11-84, with 16 inside a diamond.
The 6P1P are all marked 6n1n-EB with an emblem which is a circle with three bars on each side and a "C" in the middle (Wing-C Svetlana?), VI-77, and 55 inside a diamond.

All these came from the same vendor over a period of several months.

I'm waiting on 6N23Ps from another vendor.

It will be interesting to see how they compare to the 6DJ8s I have.

Tubes arrived today from Lithuania. Faster shipping than previous tubes, three weeks.

Tubes all tested similar to the 6DJ8s I have.

Markings are short two bars a closed rectangular shape with convex left and concave right end, and two more short bars.

---
---
---

bad graphic.
6H23n
03,-' 81

and a pentagon with CCCP on top of a graphic that looks like a star with the top branch missing.

Plate structure is open ended compared to closed 6DJ8 plates, but probably don't matter.

Next will be to build a amp and test them I guess.

Tubes arrived today from Lithuania. Faster shipping than previous tubes, three weeks.

Tubes all tested similar to the 6DJ8s I have.

Markings are short two bars a closed rectangular shape with convex left and concave right end, and two more short bars.

---
---
---

bad graphic.
6H23n
03,-' 81

and a pentagon with CCCP on top of a graphic that looks like a star with the top branch missing.

Plate structure is open ended compared to closed 6DJ8 plates, but probably don't matter.

Next will be to build a amp and test them I guess.

This is VOSKHOD, Kaluga plant
http://www.voshod-krlz.ru/production/index/13
sorry, russian only
Pentagon sign with CCCP in it is "High Quality" mark

Attachments

• voskhod.gif
    voskhod.gif
    168 bytes · Views: 1,697
Well, I finally got around to doing some testing.

Preliminary results at .8mA, 3.8mA and 10.5mA are as follows.

The circuit is your basic unbypassed cathode bias circuit. 0.022 Poly(yourguessisiasgoodasmine) Cap coupling in and out, 1M grid to ground.

Across the board the 6N1P is brighter than the 6DJ8, 6N2P, and 6N23P.

The 6N23P in particular seems to accentuate the base. The 6DJ8 sounds very similar to the 6N1p and 6N2P at 3.8mA bias. At 10.5mA the 6N23P seems to start smoothing out. I've not taken the bias above 10.5mA yet, and need to change the circuit to do so.

I'm thinking of changing to a current source (LM317) bias with negative bias voltage for more consistent control of the bias current Since there is a tendency for it to vary depending on the tube when I switch them and I keep having to add or remove parallel cathode bias resistors to get the current right.

I have two input stages running simultaneously so that I can select them with a switch to feed the phase splitter.

I've not biased up the circuit for the 6N6P and probably won't since the amp I'm working with only has 200V B+ for the preamp/driver stages.

The 200V supply may be a limiting factor for the amp stages.

I bought a bunch of 6N6P's a while back from east Europe.

Have to get home to check what they were but I've always liked this tube. Have some 6N1P/6N2P's and always went back to my 6N6P's.

Very nice sounding IMHO. But each to their own I guess .

Have them in my Aikido as the input tubes. Also used them as a buffer in a CF.

I think that 6N6P is a "dark" sounding tube. It's parameters are close to the wonderfull 5687 and I recomend to use 5687 when possible.

6N1P is not direct substitute for 6DJ8, russians have exact analog called 6N23P. The tube 6N24P is with same parameters , but the pins connections are different. In russians audio forums , 6N24P is called "cascode version" of 6N23P/ECC88/6DJ8. It means that its pins are arranged for easy making cascode schemes and the tube is with low microphonic construction.

6N1P is constructed as noval analog of 6N8S /6SN7/, this is written in some russian datasheets for 6N1P.

That was my conclusion in post #5, that it was closer to the 6SN7 than the 6DJ8. I guess I should try to set up an octal socket and try comparing the 6N1P with the 6SN7.

I find the 6N1P to be quite bright sounding. Clean, clear and bright. Great for guitar and probably heavy metal. I need to find my "Heavy Metal" soundtrack and see how it sounds.

I think, that 6SN7 sounds much better than 6N1P. The russian analog is 6N8S, but this tubes with plastic base are not good. The best sounding russian 6N8S is with metal base and produced in 1950-1960 year. Todays russian 6SN7 are identical with "ordinary" plastic base 6N8S. I have a few NOS pieces 6SN7 made by TungSol, GE , etc. It's sound is much more better tnan any 6N1P and 6N8S.

Must say that , there are several different brands 6N1P. All of them sounds different...some sounds even very interesting :) ... There is a nonwritten rule for russian tubes - Older production is better. I have got 2pcs 6N1P from 1960 and the sound of this brand is with a little bit liter bass and very pleasant presens in mid frequencies than the other 6N1P made in 1980 for example.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.