Test equipment collection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I have been collecting test equipment over the last few months. I bought a Heathkit IP-2717 tri-power (5v/20v/20v) and an IP-2718 high-voltage supply (400v/-100v). Also got a Heathkit IG-18 signal generator and a Tek 465 scope. I figured that this should be enough to do some basic bread boarding along with my multi-meters. Is there any tips or suggestions for additional cheapish gear to get?

I have a quick question about the signal generator and scope. When I have the generator set to 1000x, with the fine tuning 00./0./.00 knobs set to 0 and the voltage knob set to 1v, I get a solid trace on the scope. I suspect that this might be the base setting with the least amount of "stuff" in the circuit path because if I adjust the generator away from that setting I can't regain that solid trace. The trace +/- peaks pulse up and down. Any idea? Maybe a recap? Or user error?

Thanks!

The IG-18 was my first sig generator, and I used this and Weems book to build a half-dozen speaker systems. PM me as there is a pooge which will improve the THD performance by a factor of 10.

I think I've run mine up to 100kHz with no issues -- did you check the sync with the scope?

Ok, I'll PM you. I'm learning to use the equipment as well, so when you say checking the sync with the scope what do you mean? As of now my mode of operation is setting the dials on the generator and fiddling with the Tek's two main knobs until I see the trace and then seeing how things change when I adjust the signal generator. I have a basic idea of whats going on.
** I should also mention, when I turn the settings for the generator to other settings the voltage meter on the generator fluctuates with the pulsing of the trace. For example the the voltage will smoothly fluctuate between 1 and 2 volts while the trace flattens and bunches. Or other times, on a different setting the volt meter will flutter while the trace jitters.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.