DIY Tube Pre with remote - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2009, 10:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Tube Pre with remote

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a DIY tube preamp that could be outfitted with a remote control. It might be nice to be able to switch inputs, but remote volume is a must (I'm lazy).

I'm still pretty new when it comes to DIY (I'm just finishing my first amp, a Tubelap Simple SE) so I wouldn't want anything too outlandish. Any suggestions?
Old 24th September 2009, 10:34 PM   #2
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

Aikido PCB with a Bent Audio stepped attenuator

http://www.bentaudio.com/index2.html

Or substitute it into another line stage - Hagerman Clarinet, Bottlehead Foreplay III, etc.

Last edited by Glowbug; 24th September 2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 24th September 2009, 10:45 PM   #3
piero7 is offline piero7  Italy
diyAudio Member

In the market section there are some volume+input remote controller. On ebay, many more...
Old 25th September 2009, 01:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowbug View Post
Aikido PCB with a Bent Audio stepped attenuator

http://www.bentaudio.com/index2.html

Or substitute it into another line stage - Hagerman Clarinet, Bottlehead Foreplay III, etc.
I like that little PRM 1 Module ( OEM/DIY TAP page - link at left on above linked page)
Old 25th September 2009, 03:41 AM   #5
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

They definitely have some neat stuff
Old 25th September 2009, 04:58 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I tell you what; the Bent Audio remote is the mutha remote I have ever seen, consumer or DIY. I get the OEM setup from John (no wallwart, since I build my own PS for it) for a good deal, and put it on both the Machine and Moebius. You got to use a stepped attenuator (I think either the DACT or Goldpoint, which are built on the Elma switch), and you get a controller board, a stepper motor, and the groceries to mount to the back of the switch. The handpiece looks a little commercial at first glance, but is actually a cut above - very solid, well built, and crisp in action.

You never saw a remote that works like this thing. Point it at the eye on the unit, point it at the ceiling, the floor, the back wall. Clickclickclick goes the volume. I, geek that I am, sat on the chair and pointed the bugger right in my eye (I mean right in me eye, from a mm away, idiot), just to see if I could see the signal. Clickclickclick. Intrigued, I went outside the effing room and pointed in the door (the door is at the gear end of the room, looking back at the listening position). Clickclickclick.

I have a client in Athens, the gear is in an EC island between two rooms, and the actual listening position is in the room behind the gear. Clickclickclick. I'm his idol.

Just get the thing and go. John will help you pick the right setup, and his site has all the installation toots you need. Aikido if you must, but of course (sniff) mine sounds better. Make sure and use the Bent remote.

Aloha,

Poinz
AudioTropic
Old 25th September 2009, 08:16 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kavermei
I used kits from Dantimax. The actual amplifier stage, of course, can be anything.
Old 25th September 2009, 08:34 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to soundbrigade
I have been building a Grounded Grid-preamp with a remote control, fφr two years now ... ... and I picked a motor potentiometer from Diyclub.biz. I haven't gotten so far that I can say that things work OK, but that moment is just a day or two away.

More about my project: http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3702

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 25th September 2009, 09:17 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default If want I have a ready done Preamp to sell

My design is based on Dantimax balanced volume and controlled input/output with an LCD display. The main board is 4 valve fully balanced design and the power supply has separated transformers for digital control, valve filaments and high B voltage.

The chassis is constructed in aluminum with 3mm black brushed top plate, 10mm sides and brushed front panel, and the back panel is also 3mm black fully CNC engraved with information on inputs and outputs.

It has as you can see from the photos both balanced and single inputs and outputs (based on Neutrik plugs).

Inside some very good components:
• Volume control based on high quality micro Relays controlling Vishay resitors.
• All resistors are Audio Note Tantalum (signal) and Mills (power)
• All electrolytic caps are Panasonic and Nichicon
• Signal caps are Dynamic caps and Vishay
• All film power supply caps are MIT and Wima
• All internal cabling is Vandenhull SCS and D501.
• Valves are 6DJ8 and 12AU7.

Very good opportunity, I am selling for 750€ plus shipment.

It sounds very good and warm, and for the price even if you don’t like it as it is, just simply take way the main board and supply, and use your won design, only the chassis, engraved front panel, real Audio Research knobs, Neutrik plugs and back panel, and the full remote controlled setup is worth the money. The setup has only 6 months and its in mint condition like new (hardly used I have bought a C2200 Mcintosh).

My mail: rui.lourenco@fortislease.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Optimized.IMG_9746.jpg (137.1 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg Optimized.IMG_9747.jpg (197.1 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg Optimized.IMG_9751.jpg (183.1 KB, 247 views)
Old 25th September 2009, 09:20 AM   #10
danzup is offline danzup  Romania
diyAudio Member

Working on my own preamp with all included .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pream_danzup.jpg (292.3 KB, 257 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!