• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Audio Innovations Classic 25 web page

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi Guido,

Funny that you mention this. I used to work there as well,

I know you did, I probably must have met you somewhere along the line.

Occasionally I went to Eds' place to deliver some valves and have a chat.
In those days, from the mid eighties to the mid nineties, I sold valves to most shops in Holland.

I noticed Fust is still carrying some of the NOS stuff I sold him.

Oh, there was Menno VDV as well...he was planning on building an OTL amp with EL519's...

Siltech/Sphinx was another customer of us as well.

Small world, isn't it?

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:
Hi Guido,

Occasionally I went to Eds' place to deliver some valves and have a chat. In those days, from the mid eighties to the mid nineties, I sold valves to most shops in Holland.

I noticed Fust is still carrying some of the NOS stuff I sold him.

Oh, there was Menno VDV as well...he was planning on building an OTL amp with EL519's...

Siltech/Sphinx was another customer of us as well.

Small world, isn't it?

Cheers,;)

Hi Frank

Which company where / are you ?

Fust is still hanging on, Menno went to transformers and Sph9nx is out of tubes, I guess

Yes, small world.......

Guido

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi Guido,

The company was Reference Audio.
If I'm not mistaken we had some ads in A&T but not on a regular basis.
Main activity was distribution of valves, occasionally I also did some consultancy work and design.
My last work was a range of cables I designed for Deskadel, I think Bert Doppenberg distributes them in Holland.

In those says we called everyone by their first name, Ger Fust should definetely remember me.

I don't know what happened to Ed de Jong though....
Michel de Goey and his co-engineers where really MOS-FET guys, I suspect the valves where only there to help sell the product.
They made the unfortunate choice of designing with the E288CC which was hard to come by in those days already.

Regards,;)

fdegrove said:
Hi Guido,

The company was Reference Audio.
If I'm not mistaken we had some ads in A&T but not on a regular basis.
Main activity was distribution of valves, occasionally I also did some consultancy work and design.
My last work was a range of cables I designed for Deskadel, I think Bert Doppenberg distributes them in Holland.

In those says we called everyone by their first name, Ger Fust should definetely remember me.

I don't know what happened to Ed de Jong though....
Michel de Goey and his co-engineers where really MOS-FET guys, I suspect the valves where only there to help sell the product.
They made the unfortunate choice of designing with the E288CC which was hard to come by in those days already.

Regards,;)

Hi Frank

Yes, I remember reference audio. Ed is now into audionote.nl. E288CC is a nice tube, but way too much distortion. I do not understand why people like them. Have several lying around !

bye

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
I DO ....

Hi,

The main attraction of the E288CC is that it's a low noise valve and can sink a lot more current than the ECC88.

Granted, it's not as linear but I can see the attraction as the output tube in preamp and DAC service...

There is at least one better USSR valve out there...but it's getting scarce as well.:(

Cheers,;)

Re: I DO ....

fdegrove said:
Hi,

The main attraction of the E288CC is that it's a low noise valve and can sink a lot more current than the ECC88.

Granted, it's not as linear but I can see the attraction as the output tube in preamp and DAC service...

There is at least one better USSR valve out there...but it's getting scarce as well.:(

Cheers,;)

Hi Frank

Yes I know, 288 could do as an output stage, but to be honest I do not nee that low noise in a line stage, and still, driving it at higher currents, it is not as linear as an 88.....

I'd prefer E182CC then.

Curious for your USSR valve :)

all the best

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hello Guido,

I agree, especially considering the high asking price.

I'd prefer E182CC then.

In which case you should consider the new ECC99 by JJ.(formerly Tesla)

Curious for your USSR valve :)

The one I has in mind was the 6N30P-DR, keep in mind the u is only 15 but other than that a superb twin triode.

I haven't any "hands-on" experience with it but if the rumours are anything to go by it should be great.

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:
The one I has in mind was the 6N30P-DR, keep in mind the u is only 15 but other than that a superb twin triode.

I haven't any "hands-on" experience with it but if the rumours are anything to go by it should be great.

Very nice tube, one I like a lot in gain stages, and even output tube drivers. To my ears a consistently preferrable sound to any of the 6SN7/6J5 I have on hand, but, only when used above Ik=20mA. Also make good cascodes.

Audio Innovations Classic Stereo 25

I've made some web pages about my Audio Innovations Classic 25 push-pull amplifier. For those who are interested, have a look at:
Verouderd, antiek of achterhaald | Klantenservice | Ziggo

Hi,

The site is no loger existing, do you still have some info on the Amp?
Recently aquired one and current tubes are 4* EL34 Svetlana, 2* ECC803S telefunken, 1*ECC83 telefunken and finally 2* 12AU7A Audio Voice. The EL's can be improved I guess , any info would be great

regards Tin

Attachments

• IMG_20210911_172337.jpg
    IMG_20210911_172337.jpg
    705.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20210911_172320.jpg
    IMG_20210911_172320.jpg
    621.8 KB · Views: 365