• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

I need a 6A7, 88, and 89 tube.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sometimes when I get an old radio which has defunct tubes that are difficult to come by, I'm inclined to replace the tube and its socket for an electrically equivalent type which is more easily available. Vintage purists might disagree, but I think that it better to have a working set with 'period' parts in its repair than a non-working dust-gathering piece!

Your 88 is a rare tube - I've never come across one 'in the flesh.' The octal based 6SK7 is the electrical equivalent, so replacing the 88's UX base with the octal type should not upset circuit conditions. As an IF amp you might find that a 78 (electrical equivalent of a 6K7) could work. I don't know of an equivalent for the 89, although I suspect that an octal 6V6 could be used with minor circuit alterations.

I think that the 6A7 is more likely to be used as a frequency changer than a RF amp - the 6A8 is the octal equivalent. The 6A7 can be obtained from Billingtons in this country ( http://www.bel-tubes.co.uk/ ) but they don't have the other types.

I had those ideas in mind, but unforunately, I'm one of those purists.

I'm in no rush to get new tubes for the radio just yet, I'll wait untill I come across them. I know a person that probably has many of these types of tubes and so one day I'll go over and rummage through his collection.

Thankyou for your insight though.

Yes, its listed in one of my tube manuals (published in 1954) as being manufactured by the 'Canadian Rogers Co, Canada.' Unfortunately, the manual regards it as an obsolete type (even in 1954!) so it doesn't give the base connections. However, I believe it uses a standard six pin UX base so I imagine the pin connections are the same as a 78.

As said previously, I've never come across a 88, but I have seen other UX based tubes in old radios (and amps!) and they seem to perform as well as their octal equivalents.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.