Anyone ever bought this Ebay Head amp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2009, 03:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone ever bought this Ebay Head amp?

I'm looking for an inexpensive headphone amp to use with my DAC as currently I can't use my main speakers (staying with in-laws for the time being). So I was browsing ebay and came across this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Valve-Class-A-Hy...d=p3286.c0.m14

It looks interesting but I really don't have much of any idea about tubes but always wanted to try a tube headphone amp. I understand it's probably not amazing but do you guys think it could be decent? Or better yet has anyone used it? I have a pair of Alessandro MS2's and a pair of Bose on-ear phones that it would be used with.

At 79.99 I don't think it's that cheap but they also sell them at auction which they frequently end at 30 bucks or so +12 shipping so 40ish dollars is quite cheap.
Old 17th September 2009, 04:34 PM   #2
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

There is a forum at http://www.head-fi.org/ where they seem to talk about Chinese amps like these. They are saying the Chinese 6N11 is not bad. It is the same as an ECC88 so if you want, you could swap out the Chinese tube for a 60's vintage "made in USA" RCA tube (about $40) if you are not happy with the sound and these are also some current production East European tubes ($15) that could fit. So you'd have some options.

But will you hear the "tube sound" in a headphone amp? I don't know? Headphone amps don't really add much to the sound as they don't supply much gain or power.

With new parts it would cost you at least $100 to build one of these. The DIY version would be beter in theory but you don't save money or time.

Like you'd get more informed opinions at head-fi.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddy4life85 View Post
I'm looking for an inexpensive headphone amp to use with my DAC as currently I can't use my main speakers (staying with in-laws for the time being). So I was browsing ebay and came across this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Valve-Class-A-Hy...d=p3286.c0.m14

It looks interesting but I really don't have much of any idea about tubes but always wanted to try a tube headphone amp. I understand it's probably not amazing but do you guys think it could be decent? Or better yet has anyone used it? I have a pair of Alessandro MS2's and a pair of Bose on-ear phones that it would be used with.

At 79.99 I don't think it's that cheap but they also sell them at auction which they frequently end at 30 bucks or so +12 shipping so 40ish dollars is quite cheap.
Old 17th September 2009, 04:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

How about a Starving
Student?
Old 17th September 2009, 04:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys, The Starving Student looks interesting indeed.

I'll check on Head-fi as well.
Old 17th September 2009, 05:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to booangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelabrat View Post
How about a Starving
Student?
Pete has a couple of his headphone amp PCB's on eBay. http://shop.ebay.com/pmillett/m.html

Alan
Old 17th September 2009, 05:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Wow that helps a lot thanks! I may have to go that route although it may cost a bit more I'm more willing because its DIY.
Old 17th September 2009, 05:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hmm that one requires some rather custom parts. It looks very interesting though. Are there any other tube head amps that have PCB's available? I'd love to stuff a PCB for a nice project. I'm looking through head-fi as well.

Hide this!Advertise here!