Rogers Cadet III (Mk3) - which input to use? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2009, 09:57 AM   #1
cr0wl3y is offline cr0wl3y  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Rogers Cadet III (Mk3) - which input to use?

Hi there,

Could someone please advise which input is the best to use in a Rogers Cadet Mk3? I should mention that I am a DJ and am using a DJ mixer instead of pre-amp for my turntables, and the output of that is around 1V. Is the radio or tape input a better bet?

Thanks!
Old 17th September 2009, 11:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Radio input is via the ECC807 preamp tubes - 2 triode stages with a tight feedback loop around them.
Tape input (Via the DIN Plug) bypasses the preamp. They have near identical sensitivity.
I tried both for an input from an FM Tuner and found I actually like the Radio Input with the extra "processing" of the sound.
Both will work OK for you - try both to see which you prefer.
Cheers,
Ian

Last edited by gingertube; 17th September 2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 18th September 2009, 11:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

If you can try bypassing the preamp stage.

Shoog
Old 7th October 2009, 06:18 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Update for people that stumble into this looking for info:

Having looked through the schematics for the amp and pre-amp, seems that using the tape input bypasses part (but not all) of the the pre-amp circuit (bypasses the two of the three valves). Volume and tone controls still affect the sound but the balance doesn't. Obviously the sound is very different. Volume is a lot lower than through the radio input. This also confirms test data from here:

http://www.bassboy.com.au/getreel/cl...adet3/test.htm

Agree with Ian in preferring the sound through the radio input.
Old 7th October 2009, 07:58 PM   #5
wicked1 is offline wicked1  United States
diyAudio Member

I tired listening to records w/ my dj mixer, and its horrible! Even the near $1000.00 pioneer sounds like shi_... It's fine when you're blasting the levels at a club, but for fine listening through a set and horns, it's just awful. Also, for me, club = techno/house where as listening through my tubes at home is usually jazz. UGH it's horrible sound.

Im building a phono amp now to get the dj mixer OUT of the mix!!!!!!
Old 3rd November 2009, 05:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Agree, mixer is not ideal but I'm a DJ and need to mix. Long term plan is to build a "box" with two volume controllable phono stages that go into a simple summing circuit and then that into my amp. Undecided over having EQ or not, so I'll probably add a by-passable send-return for that.

As for club=techno/house, well, I play disco, funk, rare groove, brazilian, jazz as well as italo, synth pop and the ocassional house and electro tune. All sounds much better through my valve amp and horns than most bog-standard club or studio monitoring systems!

Hide this!Advertise here!