• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Vacuum State RTP3C

One issue that I forgot about is that the feed voltage is 24V for the fet section and 300V for the B+ SuperReg. I'm gonna quote Jaytor here because I made a reply to my question in a different forum

UltraCapacitors are generally rated for 2.5V to 5V. It is possible to use multiple UCs in series with the appropriate circuitry to make sure the voltage across any one cap doesn't exceed the ratings, but the number required to get up to the voltages needed for the RTP3 is not practical.

The UCs that IanCanada typically uses in his 5V supplies are 325F 2.7V. Even if you had the space and funds to connect 120 of these UCs in series to get to 300V, these series connections reduce the effective capacitance to ~2.7F. This is still a lot, but not enough to run "off-grid" for any appreciable time which is the intent of using these in low-voltage circuits.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
So better do as Allen wrote decades ago and what i have been doing for decades too.
Use BIG chokes and dont worry to much about the current rating of the transformer. Of course if you can get 100 % more current rating for 5$ instead of 50 % extra you could spend 5 $ extra. The combination of shunt and choke will not hurt the transformer like a typical capacitor input.
Greetings,Eduard

Attachments

• 20211228_134243.jpg
    20211228_134243.jpg
    719 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: 1 users
Hi!
Please I need help with Allen HV regulator. It is not adjusting voltage and led is not turning on. Input 315 V - regulator 310 V and test point 2 has 15,45 V. Opa1641 has 15,3V in. I do not know where to look at and where to start at. I found out at first D2 was placed wrong connection. Schematic 1 attached. Then I changed to schematic 2. Did I blow something up with D2 having wrongly placed? I have checked diodes and Led right position. Opa pin 2 6,92 V, pin 3 7,45 V, pin 6 15,33 V. Test point 1 310 V, D1 310 V. After modification D2 LED still do not turn on. Capacitor C5 do not have to be 450V?
Allen HV reg.PNG

First wrong schematic with D2 connection.

Allen HV reg 2.PNG

D2 connection corrected.

The connection of R10 and R14 must be tied to GND.
ADJ pin of LM317 and Anode of D1 must be connected after R2.
R4 is surplus, should be omitted otherwise adjusting the output voltage via R13 is difficult.
For R4 is mentioned if wanting to regulate voltages higher than 200 V then add another 1M resistor but yes in series.
Q2 is without functions as a Shunt regulator
I do not understand what you mean by that. What I have to do?

I made the changes in the schematic. Later on I have to figure out how to make changes in pcb.

If later on I like to make the LM317 Be gone mode then I add resistor between LM317 pin 3 and R trimmer 3 like R1 150 ohm?

Bypassing LM329 with a good (black gate?) big 100uF cap means that I add capacitor like C3?

Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 14.42.45.png

Allen HV regulator that I know is not like that , with LM317 on high voltage rail as a current source ... for what purpose , bypassed by 150ohm resistor anyway
This is the basic schematic from Allen The Superreg Instructions December 2001. One option is to bypass LM317 with resistor like R1 which value is calculated by formula described in instructions. This also means to remove LM317 and R2 trimmer.

This schematic is completely wrong , who did it ?

@Depanatoru what would be the right Allen schematic then?

Look at post 7
Just looking at the schematic, that's not Allen Wright's design - it is in fact Emile Sprenger's HPHV regulator, which is a very well-designed shunt regulator with a similar overall architecture to Allen's SuperReg. I use a couple in my RTP3C preamp, as well as in the active crossover I am in the middle of building right now.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I did the LM317 be gone with the help of Allen and a FAX machine
A VERY nice improvement can be done by getting the 15 volt reference voltage by a 15 volt Tent shunt located as close as possible to the place where it needs to be.
Greetings, eduard

Reactions: 1 user
Look at post 7
Just looking at the schematic, that's not Allen Wright's design - it is in fact Emile Sprenger's HPHV regulator, which is a very well-designed shunt regulator with a similar overall architecture to Allen's SuperReg. I use a couple in my RTP3C preamp, as well as in the active crossover I am in the middle of building right now.
I made that comment, and it is correct: this is not Allen's SuperReg, and what you have posted is not even a correct schematic for the HPHV.

I have the original construction manual for the Sprenger HPHV regulator, which I can send you if you PM me. I would strongly advise against changing any aspect of the HPHV unless you are an experienced circuit designer, since everything is there for a reason.

Alex

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I doubt a competent designer would put a LED in series with the shunt transistor ... even if the current is 20mA

I‘ve just omitted the LED, which is indeed under unnecessary stress in that position. If it should fail open circuit you would loose the voltage regulation and run the preamp with too high voltage.

The LED is just intended to be an indicator for shunt current flowing. Having the whole regulator buried somewhere inside of a preamp makes this feature quite superfluous…

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
If i remember well in Allen's design there was a led that had to take to much current but Allen always told me that never would be a problem.
I dont remember if i bought a led that could take more current( if there are any) or if i just not used one.
I do remember Allen writing ( in his book) and telling me several times that the current through the shunt should be close or equal to the current being drawn by the pre amp circuit.
I used a choke input for my 15 volt Tent shunt supply . Because the max. current going to the shunt will only be 58 mA it will easy to find one.
I am a big fan of Lundahl chokes but you could start with a cheaper one. Because the DC needed by the shunt has to be 18 volt or a little higher you wont need a lot of H to get the critical inductance.
Greetings, Eduard