Vacuum State RTP3C - Page 41 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2013, 09:39 PM   #401
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjoarnum View Post
Hello Kim
Nice tip about the e-choke. From the paper about the E-choke it seems to outperform the ”oldfashoned” choke in a CLC filter.
As the E-choke has a cap in the input have you tried to use the e-choke in a choke input filter (LCLC where CL equals a E-choke)?

In my own RTP-project the e-choke may com in handy as a inline choke as i have a mains transformer delivering 480Vac and need to drop som voltage.

Your own build looks fantastic – I for one would like to see some more pictures:-)

Best regards
Stig
The E-Choke is not really designed for use in an LC filter. It really was intended for C-L-C use. There is nothing new about it, its just a "garden variety" gyrator with a MOSFET as the active device.

Cheers,
Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EChoke.jpg (40.3 KB, 674 views)
Old 20th January 2013, 09:53 PM   #402
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertube View Post
The E-Choke is not really designed for use in an LC filter. It really was intended for C-L-C use. There is nothing new about it, its just a "garden variety" gyrator with a MOSFET as the active device.

Cheers,
Ian
i personally wouldn't touch one with a barge pole - a very weak regulator with a nasty sound signature compared to a real choke. I feel fairly confident in saying that Allen Wright would agree.

Shoog
Old 21st January 2013, 12:37 AM   #403
diyAudio Member

Shoog,
Is this opinion or actual listening experience?

It is not any sort of a regulator, weak or otherwise, but used within its limitations it should provide good inductive impedance and ripple suppression.

Theory is here:
Active Choke for Valve Amplifiers

This shows that the schem above acts like a choke with:
Inductance of 1M x 10R x 100nF = 1 Henry
Series resistance of 10 x (1 + 1M/1M) = 20 Ohms

PROVIDING that the Time OFF mode is selected. IN Time ON mode the gyrator action is divided by 10 by the 100nF/1uF divider and the entire circuit swaps to a mostly capacitance multiplier operation (Multiplying that 1uF).

With the 1M, 1M parallel 100nF , 15V zener arrangement in Gyrator Mode (TIME OFF) then you can see that the gyrator will tolerate a maximum of 15V pk-pk across it which means that the input voltage must be meet that spec (<15V pk-pk ripple). Thats why it won't be any good for an L-C arrangement but is good for C-L-C arrangement.

I will be trying them out in the next power amp build. for my current SVP2 clone preamp build I have a "real" choke for an L-C style supply.
Cheers,
Ian
Old 21st January 2013, 08:00 AM   #404
diyAudio Member

Its a form of capacitance multiplier. Every time I tried one of those it sounded real nasty. Introduced a real bloat to the overall sound of the amp. I consistently use chokes where ever I can now and avoid power supply regulators.

Shoog
Old 24th January 2013, 10:33 AM   #405
diyAudio Member

Default ANALOG DEVICES SSM2212RZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex M View Post
Very nice.

I'm intrigued by your gain problem with the phono stage. As a quick check, you could connect a pair of reasonably well-matched BC550s to see if the solid-state devices are the cause. This design is optimised for bipolar input transistors, rather than JFETs.

Have you measured the DC voltages on the anodes and cathodes of the valves? Is the standing current correct?

Alex
Hi Alex.

Finally got the phono boards sorted! I replaced the 2SK170BL's with the SSM2212's from Farnell and, taking your advice, changed the current source resistors to 500 ohm pots. I'd originally had 330 ohm resistors in there, as per the schematic, which I'd later paralleled to 165 ohm to get more gain, without success! I have had to take the pots down to 50 ohms to get sufficient gain, around 40db, for my MM cartridge. This resistance does seem a little low for that gain but the tubes may be tired. I'll try a few different ones now it's working. Incidentally, I don't think this was the cause of the original problem as I'd tried it shorted and still didn't get the gain I needed. What resistance have you got in there?

Also replaced 330 ohm grid stoppers with 1K0's and placed 330pf caps across the input as recommended by Allen.

I also discovered that I'd had a moment of madness and put in 2 x 47K resistors at the input so I've corrected this and put in a pair of 24K9's instead. (close enough for now for the 47K0 cartridge load) The layout is more logical now with shorter paths from input to SSM2212/tubes, and I've tweaked current and pots to get 65 volts at the anodes. The voltages were slightly unbalanced before and were up around 72 volts.

All in all it's sounding good but I'll leave it to burn in a while before I try the AD797 swap in the regulators.

Having problems attaching pics to this post so I'll try later.

Regards, Dean
Old 24th January 2013, 10:45 AM   #406
diyAudio Member

Default ANALOG DEVICES SSM2212RZ

Pics of modifications to RTP3C phono boards using pesky little SSM2212RZ. (I did some swearing soldering that!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1130003c.JPG (515.9 KB, 616 views)
File Type: jpg P1150004c.JPG (551.2 KB, 572 views)
File Type: jpg P1150005c.JPG (541.5 KB, 559 views)
Old 1st February 2013, 08:06 AM   #407
diyAudio Member

Hello Gents,

based on a statement of Alan "When you're done, check it. Then, let someone else check it" I like to ask if there would be someone who reviews my PCBs for SuperReg, Tape Out Buffer and Power Supply.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

regards, tom
Old 5th April 2013, 05:24 PM   #408
mishak is offline mishak  United States
diyAudio Member

Came here late, not sure if anybody watching this thread anymore, but I will shoot my question anyway.
I have built a similar to RTP3 design phono preamp (based on Lite Audio made GA31 boards, the same as Allen’s originated from old HP oscilloscope schematics as I was told). Works well, good sound, etc.
But there is a small (about -60dB) hum, which is moving from channel to channel along with different tubes as I roll them. So here is my question: how critical that differential design to the matching each half of the tube(s)? Not critical at all, needs 10% tolerance, need 1% matching?
Is it possible that some hum/noise would be originated from a different gain of the upper and lower triodes with respect to the floating ground?
Appreciate any comments.
Old 7th April 2013, 07:33 AM   #409
vtr is offline vtr  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Default based on my rtp experience

if there is something strange as hum thats sometimes there or noise or microfonic tubes-its oszillating
do you have grid stoppers everywhere? try to increase to 5-10k and check if the moving hum is gone, and a clean earth layout with proper star grounding helps alot, for phone i asssume you have dc heaters, and i never matched tubes-of course i check if the node voltages are similar and adjust the cs to be identical

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishak View Post
Came here late, not sure if anybody watching this thread anymore, but I will shoot my question anyway.
I have built a similar to RTP3 design phono preamp (based on Lite Audio made GA31 boards, the same as Allen’s originated from old HP oscilloscope schematics as I was told). Works well, good sound, etc.
But there is a small (about -60dB) hum, which is moving from channel to channel along with different tubes as I roll them. So here is my question: how critical that differential design to the matching each half of the tube(s)? Not critical at all, needs 10% tolerance, need 1% matching?
Is it possible that some hum/noise would be originated from a different gain of the upper and lower triodes with respect to the floating ground?
Appreciate any comments.
Old 7th April 2013, 03:12 PM   #410
mishak is offline mishak  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hum

Hi VTR,

thank you for your response. Maybe you can give more specific advise using schematics attached?
That is a printed board already grounded in one point only, heaters are DC, voltages are fine.

Key feature is it is a low hum with equal spectrum at 60, 180 and 240Hz that is changing as I replace a bulb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg one_channel.jpg (87.3 KB, 310 views)

Last edited by mishak; 7th April 2013 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Added note

Hide this!Advertise here!