Vacuum State RTP3C - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2009, 06:52 AM   #21
Jaap is offline Jaap  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoog View Post
I have built two versions of the FTP5. All point to point and I never had issues with noise or hum. I found them one of the easiest things I have built.

Shoog
Wiring a ecl82/86 tube amp, that is difficult !
Old 11th December 2009, 08:01 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
Wiring a ecl82/86 tube amp, that is difficult !
I'am onto about my 10th amp build sofar and each had there own set of problems. My last build, a direct coupled Schade 807 amp, took nearly a year to resolve issues with blowing CCS. That was very fustrating. Then of course on my first build of a Zen V3 I took out £150.00 worth of MOSFETS on the first power up.
As I said, both versions of my FVP5 have worked prity much first time and sounded good from the off. Its not that difficult a circuit to build if you keep everything straight on the pins.

Shoog
Old 11th December 2009, 08:25 AM   #23
Alex M is offline Alex M  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have to agree that point-to-point building is in some ways much more satisfying than PCB wiring - especially if there is a problem to hunt down!

When some of the MOSFETS in my crossover turned out to be faulty, it was a relatively simple matter to replace them. By contrast, when I had problems with the double-sided shunt regulator PCB, every time I unsoldered a component some of the copper came with it. By the time the regulator was working, about half the board was point-to-point wired anyway...

Alex
Old 26th December 2009, 12:39 AM   #24
adam2a3 is offline adam2a3  Greece
diyAudio Member

Hello, I have built a point to point FVP5 but used the super regulator in kit form, as sold by Allen. I had tried to build the super.reg in my own (different) pcb and had instability and VHF oscillation problems. This circuit is fantastic, now a fiend is using it in a system with Grand Utopia speakers. adam2a3
Old 26th December 2009, 08:43 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2a3 View Post
Hello, I have built a point to point FVP5 but used the super regulator in kit form, as sold by Allen. I had tried to build the super.reg in my own (different) pcb and had instability and VHF oscillation problems. This circuit is fantastic, now a fiend is using it in a system with Grand Utopia speakers. adam2a3
Did you use the 20 cents LF351 opamp that is delivered with the reg kit ?
Old 28th December 2009, 09:09 AM   #26
adam2a3 is offline adam2a3  Greece
diyAudio Member

Hello, Allen included an OPA1 opamp in the superegulator kit, not an LF353. Also supplied the fets for the RIIA input stage. The supereg's external 24V dc supply I used was a regulated Power One, and B+ came from a 350W transformer plus 5V4 with LCLC. Interconnects betrween Supereg and circuit modules were mirrored lengths of 1/2" copper stripes dressed by heatshrink. I might upload some photos, that I have in another pc and is not possible now. adam2a3
Old 28th December 2009, 04:34 PM   #27
pchw is offline pchw  United States
diyAudio Member

What is an opa1? I don't seem to find any specs for it. I have a pair of old superreg and would like to upgrade the LF351 to something better. Any chance to PM me the real opamp name??
Old 28th December 2009, 07:04 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchw View Post
What is an opa1? I don't seem to find any specs for it. I have a pair of old superreg and would like to upgrade the LF351 to something better. Any chance to PM me the real opamp name??
AD797 has succesfully been used as an upgrade
Old 29th December 2009, 05:02 AM   #29
pchw is offline pchw  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
AD797 has succesfully been used as an upgrade
Thank you!!
Old 29th December 2009, 10:21 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchw View Post
Thank you!!
do not forget a 100nF ceramic across pin 4 and 7 (backside pcb, close to the pins)

Hide this!Advertise here!