Vacuum State RTP3C - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2011, 08:19 PM   #121
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algar_emi View Post
Did you know that Emile worked with Allen to develop its own SuperReg? In fact Emile design is more sophisticated that Allen one. I'm not commenting on their respective sonic attributes though.
Have anyone compared between either Allen's or Emile's Shunt Regulator and the one by Salas?
Old 26th November 2011, 08:35 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

This built supply is not the needed supply for the real RTP3 but for is own need. For example there is no Logic Supply in the original. The included RTP3C schematic is very close to what is in the kit. Heater supplies are Current Regulator, not Voltage. Allen claims that they were always better. Make your choice and do some test, you'll easily find what proper voltage to use, to prevent regulator IC overheating and proper filament operation. If you add a choke inline you'll drop some voltage there as well. Again simulate with Duan PSU2 and you should have a good idea.

Don't forget that the current needed is different from tube type to an other. That prevent easy tube rolling in this preamp. Depending on tube you may need to change the current programming resistor of the current regulators...

One thing that help me reach the proper voltage with the Lundhall is that euro transformers are designed for 110V-115V primary. We have 120 in Canada. So transformer secondaries are always higher, even so if they are not fully loaded.

HV voltage value is a compromise between regulator power dissipation, what is needed at the preamp and proper regulator overhead input voltage. Get the original SVE SuperReg. It is explained in the doc, or read the notes on the schematic I posted. You'll get your answer.

Last edited by Algar_emi; 26th November 2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 26th November 2011, 08:46 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

Here the latest supply built. With the bigger low heater choke, tweaked CRCRC resistors values for proper HV and some more ventilation made into the casing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Supply_Inside_Final.jpg (160.6 KB, 700 views)
Old 27th November 2011, 07:54 AM   #124
diyAudio Member

My personal opinion (based on two versions of FVP5) is that heater supplies bring nothing to the amp. Its silent enough without it. Unnecessary bulk and expense.

Allen had very strong opinions on many things - and I am not certain I would agree with all of them or even many of them. The reason the preamp sounds so go is mainly because of the incredibly good topology which delivers at least 80% of the performance. You can go chasing the final 20% all you like but its going to cost - and you are never going to be satisfied.

Shoog
Old 27th November 2011, 02:34 PM   #125
AVWERK is online now AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

Half the fun is getting there and this site would cease to exsist if everyone was satisfied.
Progress thru suffering..

David
Old 27th November 2011, 03:17 PM   #126
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVWERK View Post
Half the fun is getting there and this site would cease to exsist if everyone was satisfied.
Progress thru suffering..

David
Im pretty much satisfied right now, and nothing to improve further
but why should that stop me having fun
Old 27th November 2011, 04:41 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoog View Post
My personal opinion (based on two versions of FVP5) is that heater supplies bring nothing to the amp. Its silent enough without it. Unnecessary bulk and expense.
Current regulators to supply the tubes' heaters prolong tubes life.
Old 27th November 2011, 05:11 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
Current regulators to supply the tubes' heaters prolong tubes life.
whats the reason we never see any AC voltage regs fore the heaters
Old 27th November 2011, 05:18 PM   #129
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

because that will be insanity ?

anyway - some ppl are using HF AC for heating ; they have voltage regulation
Old 27th November 2011, 05:39 PM   #130

ok, thats a good reason

hmm, my immediate 'humble' calculation says that a 5% variation of 230V mains voltage, equals roughly 0.3V on 6.3V heaters
which is just within the specs, and thus no problem, if well adjusted
no ?

but with series heaters the voltage variation could be twice as much, and different, I guess

Hide this!Advertise here!