• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Vacuum State RTP3C

i didnt do alot of measurements, i changed the middle tube for 6h30 and the other 88´s running quite hard so i cant increase current, but i earned a much more open and faster sound-so i kept the 6h30 in place and went never back.

Thanks, I get it.
On the RTP3C I plan to build I'm going to (temporarily) replace the entire CF chain with 6H30 tubes, increase the current through them and see what may happen.

Why not run the PL83 as a pentode with its grid tied to earth and its screen fed by a simple transistor regulator. I did something like this with my ECL80 version of the FVP5, works a treat and minimal extra components. The draw on the screen is so small that the transistor is operating very stably and so introducing minimal distortion.

Shoog

Why not run the PL83 as a pentode with its grid tied to earth and its screen fed by a simple transistor regulator. I did something like this with my ECL80 version of the FVP5, works a treat and minimal extra components. The draw on the screen is so small that the transistor is operating very stably and so introducing minimal distortion.

Shoog

Good idea, do you think it makes much difference? I mean not only ri of the ccs but the whole outputstage :)

Its really difficult to predict. Every component has an effect on the sound so I think if we have made the decision that tubes sound better than FETs which sound better than Transistors, why use an inferior component when we can achieve stellar performance from a valve. Effectively a pentode is a CCS of high enough ri for our purposes.

The advantage I found was that I could set the total stage current by having an adjustment on the transistor voltage (by a simple adjustable resistor network from B+ to ground), and as if by magic everything else just self adjusts into place to accommodate that current - since the pentode current is independent of its plate voltage.

Shoog

I would consider running the first stage as a differential pair, but the second stage requires individual CCS for each half otherwise the purpose of keeping each CF triode in constant current constant voltage mode is lost. Therefore if you were to use a pentode as the bottom element they would have to be one for each side. This is how the circuit is configured in the original with one triode and one FET forming the CCS on each side.

Shoog

Last edited:
P.S.: Why not use a cascode BJT sink??? (Like Morgan Jones does)

Because there is 120V at the cathode of the cathode follower, as mentioned by morgan jones, high voltage resistors have low gain and are non-linear.
Allen wright used a jfet+triode cascode, i plan to use a high hfe transistor+triode cascode while shoog suggest to use plain pentode ccs (also descibed in `valve amplifiers`)