Using a PC as source? + "garage sale" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2009, 10:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Using a PC as source? + "garage sale"

Hello all,

The wife is telling me to "clean out the basement of all those lightbulbs", so I started selling off some of my tubes on Ebay. (If your looking for some unusual tubes or specifics just email me and I'll see if I have it)
The common or "sought after stuff is either gone or I am keeping but I do have some weird stuff so it's worth a shot.

The real reason for the post is this.

I am a computer hobbyist and I am using the new found funds to build a new PC, (I am typing this on an old dual P3 server).

I am wondering who out there is using a PC as a common source for music. ie MP3's etc. on a regular basis and what type of sound cards are they using?

Any searchs I have done for "Audiophile Soundcard" (I almost think those two terms are mutually exclusive LOL) come up with an M-Audio 2496 or similar.

I am looking for ANY opinions on this and first hand experience etc.

So C'mon and post your .02 cents!!!
Old 13th September 2009, 10:29 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It's not the very, very best, but the M-Audio Audiophile 192 has worked very well for me, and has balanced I/O. Not much more expensive than the 2496 but better performance, IME.
Old 13th September 2009, 11:25 PM   #3
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

Check this thread out, among many others: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...48#post1923048

I wouldn't use MP3s, though, but that's just IMO. Use a good ripping program like Exact Audio Copy, and encode to a lossless format such as FLAC.
Old 13th September 2009, 11:36 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...so i started selling off some of my tubes on ebay.
Auction url?
Old 13th September 2009, 11:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Auction url?
Geek,

The first set of auctions (some DHT's) all sold. I need to test, photograph etc the next set of stuff.

ebay seller id is mikethetubedude

Something your looking for?
Old 14th September 2009, 12:12 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Nothing particular other than "expendable" brand 12AX7's (as in ones if they fall on the floor and go "pock", one does not look for the cyanide pills) for guitar amp repair/R&D.

Cheers!
Old 14th September 2009, 12:21 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Geek,

Since my brother in law is a "geetar" player I am saving the dozen or so "expendable" AX7's for a project we are going to work on together (a "clone" of a Marshall JCM800)

I have some expendable AT7's and maybe a couple AU7's I will look and see what's what tommorrow. I'll post up here what I find. I have been focusing on the old stuff. Sold a nice pair of 45's, an NOS 71A etc.
Old 14th September 2009, 12:30 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Glowbug - thanks for the link.

SY - I am leaning towards the 192

I have "googled" so much my head is spinning but I think I have come up with a "plan".

Sounds to me like the best route for me is something like this.

M-Audio (2496 or 192) or similar PCI interface
SDIF Digital to an "off board" DAC
then my 6SN7 preamp (in the works right now)
Then on to my amps.

Any suggestions as to BUDGET stand alone DAC's? or will the onboard DAC's of the M-Audio card suffice.

What I am getting at here is I need to keep the budget for this part of the system under $300. I can pick up a used card for under $100 or new for under $200. Leaving minimal funds for a DAC, my thoughts are that if I can't splurge on a high end DAC then maybe just save some $$ and stick with the onboard DAC of the card.

Glowbugs link lead me to see something I like to "digitize" my vinyl, there are USB phono preamps with RIAA Eq that would be nice.
Old 14th September 2009, 12:35 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
as in ones if they fall on the floor and go "pock", one does not look for the cyanide pills
LOL,

Yeah, just sold an Arcturus Blue Globe 124. Got $12 for it. Only issue was it was one of a set of 4 (out of garage sale finds). My 5 year old daughter was picking them up and dropping them on the floor to "hear the pop daddy!"

So she had about $40 worth of "pops" all over my floor.
Old 14th September 2009, 12:44 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldcathode View Post
Geek,

Since my brother in law is a "geetar" player I am saving the dozen or so "expendable" AX7's for a project we are going to work on together (a "clone" of a Marshall JCM800)

I have some expendable AT7's and maybe a couple AU7's I will look and see what's what tommorrow. I'll post up here what I find. I have been focusing on the old stuff. Sold a nice pair of 45's, an NOS 71A etc.
No worries then. Got more AT7's than I know what to do with and I rarely use AU7's

Quote:
So she had about $40 worth of "pops" all over my floor.

Cheers!

Hide this!Advertise here!