• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

8608 pentode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone has heard of this tube being used in audio applications ?
Any opinions of how the tube performed will be greatly appreciated?

I have 4 old amprex gold pin 8608 and I'm trying to think of something to do with them.
Thanks,
Nick

hey-Hey!!!,
With a significant part of the g1 plate curves above its plate dissipation, I'd want to run it at lower g2 voltages. beyond that, it looks like a fine audio tube. If you've got a linestage with balanced output a *VERY* simple amp can be built with just a two-tube, PP power stage. Looks like an easy 6-8W to mee...:) wishing I had several of them myself.
cheers,
Douglas

:Well I was thinking about using it as a driver for a 813.

I know it's probably a bit over the top but I think it would look cool to have a ll the tube have plate caps.

Oh and ya my linestage does have balanced outputs too LOL, how'd you know :D
Nick

Last edited:
:Well I was thinking about using it as a driver for a 813.

I know it's probably a bit over the top but I think it would look cool to have a ll the tube have plate caps.

Oh and ya my linestage does have balanced outputs too LOL, how'd you know :D
Nick

hey-Hey!!!,
813 driver sounds cool...:) I am driving mine with a 6H6Pi/FQP1N60 cascode. Let me suggest for you E-Linear at 20-25%, B+ of ~600 to plate and screen( the 813's ), and an 8k a-a load. 8608 g2 around 75V, with plate loads of 15-20k and idle current 15-20 mA per.

Or you could build a 'scope and use them for horizontal outputs.
cheers,
Douglas

I was going for 1kv on the plate of the 813 and running 6500 ohm plate load.

The idea has been in the works for a while it's just changing the driver tube is something new.

Oh this is a se amp though, not a push pull. I was toying with that idea a while back just didn't have the room LOL.

Nick

Gyrator loaded, I've never heard of that one. But then again there's a lot in this obsession I haven't learned yet.

Here is the basic version that I used several years ago in a mic pre:

CS-Load-Servo-Wavebourn.gif

Here is another version Hearinspace implemented in his high-end amp:

http://wavebourn.com/forum/download.php?id=125&f=7

Last edited:
Hey Douglas,

Did you try a 813 at a 40% ul tap? If yes how did it work?

Or is 20% the only way to go?

Thanks,
Nick

hey-Hey!!!,
It worked very well, save for making about half the power. The low B+, minus 40% of the plate swing lowers the g1=0V line too far so swing w/o grid current is small. At 30% the envelope to work under is far larger, and I suspect 20% might just be better...soon enough, eh?
cheers,
Douglas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.