• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

I quite agree on panel speakers - used to have Maggies, stacked Quads and Caliper Sigs. All marvellous but too big for my listening room which needs to have other functions as well.

I used 10 or 10Y, so thoriated. The 26 was a ST, but I didn't feel like swapping in a globe. No doubt I should have. I think the 26 may need another solution - I liked two 156C in series but they hummed like crazy. Maybe a permalloy shield....

Try a pair of ME2 or Ariel with your 10 line-amp........wooow.....

Try a pair of ME2 or Ariel with your 10 line-amp........wooow.....

Yes! I can only agree. In a small room, the ME2 is the best match for DHT amplifiers that I know of. The efficiency is not super-high, but enough to sound wonderful with single-300B-SE amplifiers (all the way down to 360V/70mA). They are designed expressly for low-power, low damping-factor amplifiers - unlike many multi-way speakers. I don't really like the compromises that come with full-range speakers, whizzer-cones or the like, and might never have joined the DHT club, but for this marvellous design.

The hassle with building them today: the midbass driver is out of production. Lynn pointed out a prospective replacement, but some design work is required, to integrate it perfectly.

the midbass driver is out of production.......that is a very sad news......my friend.....
Lynn pointed out a prospective replacement, but some design work is required, to integrate it perfectly.....
What is the replacement please ?? pretty...pretty please....??? Is Lynn going to provide the related design work ???
I do sincerely hope that Lynn could do that !!!!! for I like to build pairs for my grand children....!!!!
I am lost !!!!!
And I am a bit sad too, for that 1111 my friends.....
And please allow us to be a little bit off topic for a little while on this ME2 and Ariel....please....

Rod,

Please give details of the replacement given by Lynn please.....and the re-design work required to integrate it perfectly as per Lynn if possible.....please...
((in PM if you prefer....)

Cheers,

King

As you may have read in an earlier post I haven't been entirely happy with my gyrator mu follower 26 preamp. After living with it for some time I feel that I have lost some of the most pleasant characteristics of the 26 tube (think warm, big and inviting).

And as I have invested in a new DAC (which I haven't heard yet), it would have been nice to have some different options ready for tuning the sound whatever way necessery. I may use the 26 with gyrator mu, with parafeed or with ordinary output transformers, or I may skip the 26 all together and use a different DHT tube - let's say for improving the dynamics. What I'm not afraid of is using more tubes stages than stricktly necessary as I'm in the camp that feels that digital media (and recordings in general) often needs all the help it can get to sound decent.

My #26 preamp is CCS loaded, capacitor (0.22//0.1 uF) coupled to TVC (400H), so in fact this is parafeed.
As I am lacking in expertise in this area, a circuit diagram of such a method would be enlightening. At the moment my 26 uses LL2745s in Alt R, but with a 33k input impedance on my power amp I experience an HF droop. Adding capacitance across it hasn't really helped, and using my TVC (after the output transformers) softens the sound. The gyrator on the 01A has too much gain, so I don't want to go down that road with the 26. An alternative method would be useful.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I use this preamp for five years.
Two box -power and preamplifier structure.
Preamp box:
selected globe tubes, vibration damping, good components (Shinkoh tantalums, V-Cap // FT-3 teflon capacitors, military connectors, Rod Coleman regulators, Dale non-inductive filament resistors, DN2540 cascode CCSs), DIY silver interconnects.
Power box:
AZ1 mesh, CLCLC HT raw supply, two SSHV2 regulator;
Low capacitance filament transformers, C-CMC-C-L-C raw supplies.

My 300B SE amp has 100k input impedance, so preamp output impedance is adequate (about 800R in the whole band, plus 320nF capacitor's impedance).
The transfer curve is:
-1dB 24Hz...42kHz
-3dB 14Hz...65kHz

I built another DHT preamps (01a, 10/801 with CCS or gyrator), but this is my daily used equipment.

Attachments

• My #26 preamp.jpg
    My #26 preamp.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 505
  • DSC_9725.jpg
    DSC_9725.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 478