• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

Joined 2009
Paid Member

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
I would recommend that you do not try to "patch" it. Stop for a moment, and think of a proper solution.

For instance, if you want to use your output transformer, this is what you can do. Use a VR150 tube to get 150V at the transformer. Feed the VR150 tube with a DN2540 as a CCS set on 35mA max. Feed the DN2540 CCS with filtered 200V DC.

Hey guys I ned to drop 307VDC to 150VDC, who knows the reistor value?

157 volts divided by 0,005 A = 31,4 k. But then you really need a cap also cause this will act as anode resistor on top of your OPT. Which the gyrator also kind of does, but more like an inductor ie a choke. Now you have two "inductors" in series.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I would recommend that you do not try to "patch" it. Stop for a moment, and think of a proper solution.

For instance, if you want to use your output transformer, this is what you can do. Use a VR150 tube to get 150V at the transformer. Feed the VR150 tube with a DN2540 as a CCS set on 35mA max. Feed the DN2540 CCS with filtered 200V DC.

Sorry Iko I don't understand you, could you draw a schematic? BTW I don't have any VR150 tube:(

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Look in this thread for Andy's schematic. It is a really good solution, tried and true. Two VR75 tubes in series also work great, not to mention their glow is beautiful. I know it's frustrating because you're so close, but don't rush.

At the moment, if you really want to see it working, drop the voltage as the other guys said. But you'll need to fiddle a bit with the resistor values. Don't risk, use a power resistor. You will also need a high voltage capacitor, from the input to the transformer to ground.

Iko wrote exactly what I was going to write - here's the schematic. I don't know if you need a grid stopper.

Attachments

• 26FB+LL1660.png
    26FB+LL1660.png
    73 KB · Views: 291