• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

Ah - yes. 8.8R of course

Attachments

• 26pre LL1667.png
    26pre LL1667.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,523
For Rod's filament supply, send him a message. The schematic isn't public domain, but the boards are very cheap and he will give you all the details.

For Lundahl transformers, probably the easiest is to send a message to Thomas Mayer - see also his website. You are not too far away from him.
VinylSavor: New Lundahl Line Output / Interstage Transformer

Which Lundahl transformer you need will depend on the ratio of stepdown you like, as he explains.

I just completed modification to my 26 pre-amp "from battery to the fillament biasing".
As a result I feel the sound surely improved.
However, I feel a residual hum? noise (0.31mV) which was not included in battery bias. I measured by ac voltmeter(Kenwood VT-171) at the output terminal (600 ohm).
Under such circumstances, I wonder are there any suggestions or idea in getting rid of the said residual noise?

Attachments

• 26puri-jpeg.jpg
    26puri-jpeg.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 604
Hiro, such a high level of noise is not expected - especially with the excellent filtering of raw dc shown in your circuit.

my suggestions for checks:

1. Please measure ac voltage (common-mode) at input of filament Regulator: Meter + at Raw dc +, Meter - connected at cathode of 26 (GND).

2. Please measure ac voltage (differential-mode) at input of filament Regulator: Meter + at Raw dc +, Meter - at Raw dc -. This should be <100mV

3. Please measure ac voltage (common-mode) at output of filament Regulator: Meter + at filament +, Meter - connected at cathode of 26 (GND). This should be < 1mV

differential mode ac voltage (Filament + to Filament -) should be << 1mV

4. filament transformer has low capacitance from primary to secondary? 50 to 90pF is a good value.
Also, transformer construction is E-I ?

4. possibly, a capacitor of 1000uF to 3300uF connected at Regulator PCB (input terminals), may be useful. Low impedance type: Panasonic FC, Nichicon PM etc.

5. Snubber network R-C (R=47R 1/2W; C=47nF stacked film) placed across filament transformer secondary is helpful to eliminate leakage-inductance waveform problems (large spikes).

Hiro, such a high level of noise is not expected - especially with the excellent filtering of raw dc shown in your circuit.

my suggestions for checks:

1. Please measure ac voltage (common-mode) at input of filament Regulator: Meter + at Raw dc +, Meter - connected at cathode of 26 (GND).

2. Please measure ac voltage (differential-mode) at input of filament Regulator: Meter + at Raw dc +, Meter - at Raw dc -. This should be <100mV

3. Please measure ac voltage (common-mode) at output of filament Regulator: Meter + at filament +, Meter - connected at cathode of 26 (GND). This should be < 1mV

differential mode ac voltage (Filament + to Filament -) should be << 1mV

4. filament transformer has low capacitance from primary to secondary? 50 to 90pF is a good value.
Also, transformer construction is E-I ?

4. possibly, a capacitor of 1000uF to 3300uF connected at Regulator PCB (input terminals), may be useful. Low impedance type: Panasonic FC, Nichicon PM etc.

5. Snubber network R-C (R=47R 1/2W; C=47nF stacked film) placed across filament transformer secondary is helpful to eliminate leakage-inductance waveform problems (large spikes).

Hi Rod, Thank you very much for your very quick responce!!
I will check following your advices.
BTW, my previous schematic was wrong one.

Attachments

• 26 Pre-amp Filament bias.jpg
    26 Pre-amp Filament bias.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 528
I just completed modification to my 26 pre-amp "from battery to the fillament biasing".
As a result I feel the sound surely improved.
However, I feel a residual hum? noise (0.31mV) which was not included in battery bias. I measured by ac voltmeter(Kenwood VT-171) at the output terminal (600 ohm).
Under such circumstances, I wonder are there any suggestions or idea in getting rid of the said residual noise?

Hiro,

What kind of Line Output Transformer do you use within you preamp? Seems interesting that it has finemet core. Is that feastrex? How is the sound?

Hiro,

What kind of Line Output Transformer do you use within you preamp? Seems interesting that it has finemet core. Is that feastrex? How is the sound?

Ty094,
I bought a custom-designed OPT (FM15K(200H)-150x2) via my friend and honestly I do not know the maker`s name.
As far as I know, they are small company in Saitama and they may be supply the finemet core OPT`s to Andix Audio or may be Noguchi.

Specification of FM15K(200H)-150x2:
winding ratio: 1:0.22
Inductance: 212H(5Hz) 15K
216H(100Hz)
256H(1KHz)
Maximum current: 15mA/15K
DCR primary 783 ohm x2
Secondary 43ohm x2
Frequency response 8Hz ~ 30KHz (-3dB)

The sound impression is warm, brilliant and less distortion.