• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

Just a quick word about batteries for grid bias. I got some A23 batteries to try out. These are 12v and quite small - 28mm long and 10mm diameter. Users of battery bias may find these more useful than the usual PP3 at 9v, though clearly those are widely available and have a longer life. Anyone tried A23 batteries or can suggest if they are powerful enough for the job?

Energizer A23 Pack of 2 Batteries: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

They fit N size battery holders
N Size Battery Holders : Battery Boxes : Maplin

Andy

Thanks Andy. You confirmed my observation with CX-326 plate curves. I was little in doubt whether I did it right.

Rod, thanks for your information. This is something new for me to learn. BTW, I tried different tubes with similar plate/bias voltage figures but scenario was almost same. Anyway I will test the few of these tubes for gas as you described and report.

Kanishka, are you sure that the SMPS bias is not generating the noise?

Many SMPS operating from the mains line can show leakage current from L to safety Earth. Even if the ripple on the output is low, you may get noise from this current leakage.

Comparing with a battery will prove quickly if this is worth looking into.

Kanishka, are you sure that the SMPS bias is not generating the noise?

Many SMPS operating from the mains line can show leakage current from L to safety Earth. Even if the ripple on the output is low, you may get noise from this current leakage.

Comparing with a battery will prove quickly if this is worth looking into.

Thanks Rod. This make sense. I will change the bias supply and see. I remember when I used battery before, it was less noise. BTW, is there an easy way of getting rid of this leakage from SMPS? If there is, it will reduce my time to build a different PSU.

Last edited:
Just a quick observation - I tried the globe 26 against the ST version, and found I preferred the globes. Slightly more definition in the mid and treble. Anyone else have views?

andy

For my ears as well, the globe are certainly better than ST's. Globes are having better control across all the frequencies I believe. Very rich sound that pleasing to the ears. Super Silvertone and Tung-sol are the only ST's coming closer to the sound of the globes as I observed. I prefer Silvertones above all other ST's because of the faster sound they produce. Cunningham is the best overall sound from globes that I found. Both are very musical tubes and pleasure to listen. Tested Cunningham, RCA, Silvertones, Tungsol, Blue Acturus, Philco, and Superairlines so far.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
ST
205514d1295032730-26-pre-amp-dsc00032.jpg

Globe
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Just a quick observation - I tried the globe 26 against the ST version, and found I preferred the globes. Slightly more definition in the mid and treble. Anyone else have views?

andy

Fully agree. I listened today Andy's pre-amp and it's superb. Globes had a better treble indeed.
Worth following Andy's advice on DHTs...
Cheers, Ale

Hi!

R3 is there to avoid static charge build up on the output when nothing is connected. This avoids that you hear a loud plop when you plug the preamp into a power amo which is on.

R3 should not have a big impact since it is in parallel with the input resistance of your power amp anyways. If the preamp reacts to such tiny changes in load impedance, something is not optimal.

Do you really run at -16V bias? The way the filament is drawn this results in an average of -16,75V. At 140V thats maybe 2-3mA or even less. That marginal op point is probably the reason why you hear a difference when you remove R3.

What you don't really need is R1. The 26 is low transconductance and not prone to parasitic oscillation. I'd use it without a grid stopper.

Best regards

Thomas

Coolzero - is that a 5uF output capacitor? Is this going straight into a tube amp stage? Is it so close to it so leads can be very short? If that is true, and you have say 270k to 470K total input resistance on the amp (your two resistors in parallel) then a smaller capacitor would give you much better sound, because you could use a better quality capacitor. I'd use Russian 0.1uF Teflon FT-2 or FT-3 in whatever numbers give you a good enough bass response. Parallel for 0.2, 0.3 etc.

I have short leads to my amp and I use a single Teflon 0.1uF FT-2 cap. Inevitably capacitors will have some effect on the sound so this part must be optimised.

If you have a transistor amp that's another story, but surely you don't?

Andy