• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

Slowly making some progress on the power supply. I spent nearly two days in getting the chassis done and still not finished.
I ended up fitting both LT and HT supplies in the same chassis. HT Chokes are mounted on top of the plate and HT transformer and filament supply transformers are mounted inside at 90 degrees. Also fitted the two raw filament supply boards and the Salas regulator.

It took me ages to cut the top plate to fit the three oil caps, hard work.

Finally got a nice Telefunken AZ1 mesh at a reasonable price on e-Bay. See the picture.

Still need to fit bottom plate and wire multipole connector.
I'm getting really close now!

Cheers,
Ale

Attachments

• 26 Preamp Power Supply Mogliaa.jpg
    26 Preamp Power Supply Mogliaa.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 704
Finally finished the preamp today. The results have clearly exceeded my expectations when I first started the project, albeit I was caught up by the popularity of it. I hooked up the preamp to my 45 SE and tried "Take Five" from Dave Brubeck on vinyl, which is one of my favorite songs for listening tests. The improvement on the bass response is remarkable and it gives a clearer and rounded soft sound. Tried a couple of times bypassing it and putting back again the preamp. Had clearly improved my systems, that is the final verdict.

Still need to do some proper measures. There is no audible trace of hum apart from when the HT power supply is switched off (previously discussed on this thread). I did a quick THD and frequency response which I will upload later. The 60Hz and 120Hz peaks are well below -85dB and THD is 0.04% for a 1Vrms input signal at 1kHz (valves were randomly selected so could be even better than this if I pick up the best ones I have).

Will do more tests later, but wanted to post my first impressions.

I highly encourage everyone to start the journey of this wonderful preamp project. Having a modular preamp setup, I will tests 10Y, 01A, 112a, 30/VT-67 and more valves to see what I end up liking more.

My special thanks to Andy Evans, Rod Coleman and Thomas for the invaluable help and support all along. :)
Cheers,
Ale

Attachments

• 26 Preamp Ale Moglia.jpg
    26 Preamp Ale Moglia.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 655
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
CeCo globes from Canada are quite nice as well if you can find them - amongst the best sounding with the Sylvanias and Cunningham CX-326 referenced earlier - noting that Cunninghams were made by RCA, RCA ones having the same general construction will also sound quite good. IMHO hard to find a bad sounding 26..

On eBay watch out for tubes that are advertised as used and have marginal transconductance (if posted) as they will often be quite noisy in addition to just not sounding good. All of my eBay scores incidentally have been fine, but some I pulled from an old Radiola 17 were not too good unfortunately.