Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

#26 pre amp
#26 pre amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2017, 11:54 AM   #4481
king4joy is offline king4joy  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjevans View Post
I quite agree on panel speakers - used to have Maggies, stacked Quads and Caliper Sigs. All marvellous but too big for my listening room which needs to have other functions as well.

I used 10 or 10Y, so thoriated. The 26 was a ST, but I didn't feel like swapping in a globe. No doubt I should have. I think the 26 may need another solution - I liked two 156C in series but they hummed like crazy. Maybe a permalloy shield....
Try a pair of ME2 or Ariel with your 10 line-amp........wooow.....
Old 10th November 2017, 11:57 AM   #4482
diyAudio Member

My father tried using Quad speakers, donkey years ago...... in HK humid condition, they sparked and sparkled like a X'mas tree !!!

He returned to his AR3A !!!

All those are memories now !!
Old 10th November 2017, 12:21 PM   #4483
Rod Coleman is offline Rod Coleman  United Kingdom
работник
diyAudio Member

#26 pre amp
Quote:
Originally Posted by king4joy View Post
Try a pair of ME2 or Ariel with your 10 line-amp........wooow.....
Yes! I can only agree. In a small room, the ME2 is the best match for DHT amplifiers that I know of. The efficiency is not super-high, but enough to sound wonderful with single-300B-SE amplifiers (all the way down to 360V/70mA). They are designed expressly for low-power, low damping-factor amplifiers - unlike many multi-way speakers. I don't really like the compromises that come with full-range speakers, whizzer-cones or the like, and might never have joined the DHT club, but for this marvellous design.

The hassle with building them today: the midbass driver is out of production. Lynn pointed out a prospective replacement, but some design work is required, to integrate it perfectly.
Old 10th November 2017, 12:26 PM   #4484
diyAudio Member

the midbass driver is out of production.......that is a very sad news......my friend.....
Lynn pointed out a prospective replacement, but some design work is required, to integrate it perfectly.....
What is the replacement please ?? pretty...pretty please....??? Is Lynn going to provide the related design work ???
I do sincerely hope that Lynn could do that !!!!! for I like to build pairs for my grand children....!!!!
I am lost !!!!!
And I am a bit sad too, for that 1111 my friends.....
And please allow us to be a little bit off topic for a little while on this ME2 and Ariel....please....

Rod,

Please give details of the replacement given by Lynn please.....and the re-design work required to integrate it perfectly as per Lynn if possible.....please...
((in PM if you prefer....)

Cheers,

King
Old 10th November 2017, 03:31 PM   #4485
Rod Coleman is offline Rod Coleman  United Kingdom
работник
diyAudio Member

#26 pre amp
Hello King, Lynn talked about it here:

Beyond the Ariel

I believe that the Flexunits are these:

Flexunits 5 H 52 15 06 SD

Lynn is not maintaining the Ariel or ME2, another designer would have to pursue the "Mk.II".

The mechanical outline is different too - so it would be hard to use these in a current ME2.
Old 16th November 2017, 09:16 AM   #4486
Vbenonisen is offline Vbenonisen  Norway
diyAudio Member

Can Ales gyrator boards be used as is if I try them with a parafeed transformer WITHOUT using the mu out?

Any advantages vs. the more traditional CCS'es from - let's say K & K Audio?
Old 16th November 2017, 12:38 PM   #4487
euro21 is offline euro21  Hungary
diyAudio Member

#26 pre amp
Yes, it's possible....but....why?
If you use parafeed transformer, must to use enough large coupling capacitor.
DHT+gyrator+coupling capacitor = DHT preamp. Transformer is unnecessary.
Old 16th November 2017, 01:18 PM   #4488
diyAudio Member

Thank you for responding. Just an experiment to see what happens to the sound of my 26 amplifier with parafeed transformers. Never heard one.
Old 16th November 2017, 01:43 PM   #4489
euro21 is offline euro21  Hungary
diyAudio Member

#26 pre amp
Each parafeed is the series C-L tank, with explicit ( f=1/(2pi*SQRT(L*C)) ) resonance.
Tuning and damping this resonance is not easy.
Old 16th November 2017, 03:10 PM   #4490
diyAudio Member

As you may have read in an earlier post I haven't been entirely happy with my gyrator mu follower 26 preamp. After living with it for some time I feel that I have lost some of the most pleasant characteristics of the 26 tube (think warm, big and inviting).

And as I have invested in a new DAC (which I haven't heard yet), it would have been nice to have some different options ready for tuning the sound whatever way necessery. I may use the 26 with gyrator mu, with parafeed or with ordinary output transformers, or I may skip the 26 all together and use a different DHT tube - let's say for improving the dynamics. What I'm not afraid of is using more tubes stages than stricktly necessary as I'm in the camp that feels that digital media (and recordings in general) often needs all the help it can get to sound decent.

#26 pre ampHide this!Advertise here!