• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

Joined 2009
Paid Member
One choke per channel, connection altQ and you have to use the ll1660PP for 5mA. For more than this go to the 1660 10mA SE.
Around 35mA should be fine for SSHV. B+ from 130 to 160V depending on the bias you are going to choose.

Sorry I have a doubt LL1660PP only can be configured Alt M or Alt N, for Alt Q must be LL1660/18mA SE Line Output:confused:

Didn't see the prices of Jacmusic, so I didn't know they were more expensive. Just be aware that shipping from the US is probably going to cost more, and at least for the Netherlans (but theoretically all European countries) you will have to pay the local VAT and possibly some handling/administration costs by the local customs (I am assuming you are in Spain).

I have not followed this thread, but I understand you are looking for a 4,5:1 ratio (Alt Q connection in the LL1660 datasheet), so you can possibly also use the LL1680, which is designed for 5mA current (and 210H) and can also be configured as 4,5:1.

http://www.lundahl.se/pdfs/datash/1680.pdf

Hello all,

I have now almost sourced all the parts for my #26 preamp project. The signal part will be plain with Hashimoto 20K line output transformer. The filament will be regulated with Rod Colemans DHT heater. HT will be LCLCLC. It will be a spilt chassis design, one for signal, one for PS.
Before I make a conclusion on the size of the chassis, I need some advice from you guys:)
Where would you suggest that I spilt the PS? For filament, I was thinking of putting only the regulator board in the signal chassis. And for HT, I was thinking of putting the last LC in the signal chassis.

What do you think?

Theo

Joined 2002
Paid Member
No one who has any thoughts on this matter?

I like keeping all iron (transformers and inductors) away from the signal tubes. So I would split the power supply so that only the last C is in the preamp. And I always like to have some C on both ends of the cable connecting the power supply to the preamp. So I'd put something like a 0.1uf after the last L in the power supply and then put the bigger C in the preamp.

---Gary

I like keeping all iron (transformers and inductors) away from the signal tubes. So I would split the power supply so that only the last C is in the preamp. And I always like to have some C on both ends of the cable connecting the power supply to the preamp. So I'd put something like a 0.1uf after the last L in the power supply and then put the bigger C in the preamp.

---Gary

I totally agree.
VGeorge, would you be so kind to describe in detail you PS arrangement?

I totally agree.
VGeorge, would you be so kind to describe in detail you PS arrangement?

5AR4GU then LCLC (ll1673-47uf-ll1673-200uf) are at the PS case and two SSHV at the pre case. Thinking either move the big cap the pre or put two small caps (0.1uf?) near the regulators.
Heaters supply 15000uf x 2 per channel on the PS box and a 1000 uf at the pre near the regulators.

Hello all,

I have now almost sourced all the parts for my #26 preamp project. The signal part will be plain with Hashimoto 20K line output transformer. The filament will be regulated with Rod Colemans DHT heater. HT will be LCLCLC. It will be a spilt chassis design, one for signal, one for PS.
Before I make a conclusion on the size of the chassis, I need some advice from you guys:)
Where would you suggest that I spilt the PS? For filament, I was thinking of putting only the regulator board in the signal chassis. And for HT, I was thinking of putting the last LC in the signal chassis.

What do you think?

Theo

Theo, Keeping the Filament trafo away from the signal tubes & wiring definitely makes sense. But, be sure to keep the rectifier and capacitors close to the trafo - don't use long wires for these, or they will 'transmit' to other circuits! For a 1A regulator, the rectifier-cap CURRENT pulses may be 5A, with fast rise time. Using the names in my application note AN-DHT01 for the filament heater, C1-R1/R2-C2 should be in the PSU chassis.

Then, when you mount the filament regulator (near to the tubes), use a 1000uF 16V Panasonic FC or your favourite low impedance elko. Mount this on the regulator PCB, like George has done.

The same approach with the B+ PSU is recommended.

Keep the filament supply wiring away from the B+ wiring, when you connect the PSU chassis to the Signal Chassis.

Hi - vgeorge mentioned 5AR4 as a rectifier, and it may be interesting to compare notes about preferred rectifiers.

I've gone over to directly heated rectifiers - with DHTs I don't see the point of slow startup unless I'm missing something. Anyway, they sound better to my ears.

I'm having good sound with 5Y3 (80) or AZ1 mesh in my preamp. In my 300b SET amp I've been using 5U4G (5Z3) or recently a RCA 5T4 which surprised me since it's an ugly metal thing but actually has several strong points to the sound.

I've put all my Mullard GZ32,33,37 on ebay this week.

What are your experiences?

Andy

The 80 and GZ37 are quite different - 80 is lower power direct heated, GZ37 is higher power indirect heated, more for larger amps like 300b SETs where it's popular.

If it's just for a preamp, the lower power rectifiers are nice like the AZ1 mesh and 80. If you're running the preamp and amp off the same supply, then try the 5U4 or 5T4 in octal. If you're using a 4 pin socket then you have the 5Z3 as a 4 pin alternative to 5U4G. I doubt if you'll miss the GZ37.

Andy

Hi Theo,
That's how I would do it. In my case since I'm using LCL passive filtering for the filaments, I keep the last L of the filament supply and the last LC of the B+ supply in the preamp chassis. All the rest of the PSU goes to a separate chassis.

Best regards

Thomas