#26 pre amp - Page 37 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2010, 12:58 PM   #361
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolzero View Post
Hi,

Attached schematic shows what exactly I have now.

For CCS between choke and B+ supply, I used K&K audio, compact CCS (K & K Audio - Lundahl Transformers, audio DIY kits and more). Filaments are in series, fed by a SMPS used in DVD players (SMPS fo DVD SMPS - 226 SMPS for DVD CN;GUA products). SMPS works well to reduce the overall hum drastically, which I couldn't control using any other simple filament supply. Plate chokes are from EP (Electra-Print.com High-Fidelity Audio Tranformers). Most of the components I used which I had already. It is not necessary to have the exact same part mentioned. You could easily find alternatives for some of those for a lesser price.

However, to make my pre a pure DIY I am planning to replace B+ PSU with Salas simplistic regulator and Filament supply with Rod's Gyrator/CCS. Hope it will give me a better result. You could easily find the details of those in this thread if you wish to use those as well. This thread includes pretty much everything you need to build a hum free wonderful sounding 26 pre. Good luck.
Thank you so very much for taking the time compose the list for me. I will print this out and give it to my builder. Hopefully this will be a success.
Old 31st March 2010, 03:18 PM   #362
Sheldon is offline Sheldon  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I have a Broskie PS-2 power supply which is similiar but it has the Lm reg on the output after the 10m45S, so it is a series regulator. I had to go this route because I'm using a SS buffer after the tube which has a DC servo that goes nuts if the B+ voltage drifts even 100 mA which is common for shunt regulation, but this combo looks like it might hold a constant voltage?
Depends on what you mean by that. Usually a servo is used where a small DC offset will be amplified by a following stage. So it has to be very tightly regulated to a specific voltage. The servo typically references the stage output voltage, not B+. That's not an issue for a B+ supply as used here. A modest amount of thermal drift will not cause any noise on the output. As the VR tubes age, voltage may change a little. What we want is very low ripple. The type of shunt supply I posted (and the Salas supply) will hold the voltage within a volt or so, with very low ripple.

Sheldon
Old 1st April 2010, 09:42 AM   #363
работник
diyAudio Member

Default Cathode Caps and Resistors

In discussing filament heating, I mentioned connecting the cathode capacitor to the negative side of the filament for best sound.

When I went to my 300BSE to mod something today, I found that I had not wired it like that in 2004. And when I tried moving the cap to the negative filament, the sound degraded badly - especially, the image was very unstable.

If you use a cathode capacitor, be sure to try it on both sides, to ensure you get best sound.

The drawing shows exactly what I use on 300Bs. The cathode resistors are split, to try to ensure that the anode current drawn from each side is the same.

C2 is the Western Electric cap, designed to improve supply rejection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 300bwecathodes.jpeg (65.6 KB, 771 views)
Old 1st April 2010, 11:32 AM   #364
diyAudio Member

Hi Rod,

Some advice needed here. Right now I just have a LM1084 as a current source for the 300b filaments. No gyrator. I've connected the plus to pin one and minus (off the capacitor) to pin 4. I've put the cathode resistor on pin 4. Should I put it on pin 1 which is the filament positive? I haven't used a cap yet - where do I connect that?

Best,

Andy
Old 1st April 2010, 12:07 PM   #365
diyAudio Member

I should just add that I also have a PP 300b amp building, which has a shared cathode resistor, so what's best to do there?

Andy
Old 1st April 2010, 12:43 PM   #366
работник
diyAudio Member

hello Andy,

The SE connexion sounds correct. As far as I'm aware the 300B is symmetrical (not the case for every DHT) and so either filament pin can be +ve.

If you only have one cathode resistor, connect it to the FIL -ve. Then connect the capacitor to the FIL+.

If you don't use a gyrator, try adding an HF choke in its place, to be sure rectifier current pulses and mains noise (from the filament supply) are minimized. This is especially important if your trafo is toroid.

As you've found out, the current source makes more difference than the gyrator in most cases.

With PP, depends on whether you're using a common cathode resistor, or two separates. With 2 resistors you can use 2 circuits just like SE, which I suspect is the highest quality route.

With a common cathode resistor, you CCS must be a source (not a sink), and the circuit becomes like the one I posted for PP at post 348:
#26 pre amp

have fun building!
Old 1st April 2010, 02:53 PM   #367
diyAudio Member

Hi Rod,

As you know I'm not an EE but a humble hobbyist, and I sometimes get thrown by the theory if I'm unfamiliar with it. so I looked up current sink and source on Wiki and by the time I was knee deep in biological membranes and trolls lurking in rivers I gave up. It's a wacky read!

So am I right in thinking that a "source" is in the positive line? That's what I have - LM1084 with the input positive from the reservoir cap and output going to pin 1 which is nominally the positive pin. The negative of the cap then goes to pin 4. I'm attaching the common cathode resistor to pins 4 and 4 joined of the two 300b outputs.

I don't have room for chokes, but I'd be interested in adding a simple gyrator. I have a few LM1084 so tend to use those. Can you suggest a circuit that would add a gyrator to the LM1084 current source (or would it be sink then, if the LM1084 were in the negative side - bit hazy here?).

Andy
Old 1st April 2010, 03:59 PM   #368
работник
diyAudio Member

Andy, the quickest gyrator is just to take the ST logic level FET named in the FET version of the circuit (in this very thread).

Connect the CCS to the negative side.

Connect the V+ to the drain of the FET. connect a 1M or 1,5M resistor to V+, other end to a 1 to 5uF MKP capacitor (cap's other end to ground). Connect the RC join to FET gate via 1K resistor (carbon composition or 1206 thick-film chip). Minimise the gate wiring absolutely, or there may be subtle, or not-so-subtle oscillation trouble.

The FET source is your gyrator output.

Make sure there's 2V across the FET, and that heatsinking is adequate, before using on a filament (I use a pair of 2 Ohm 25W resistors to test them)
Old 2nd April 2010, 01:42 AM   #369
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to quanghao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Coleman View Post
In discussing filament heating, I mentioned connecting the cathode capacitor to the negative side of the filament for best sound.

When I went to my 300BSE to mod something today, I found that I had not wired it like that in 2004. And when I tried moving the cap to the negative filament, the sound degraded badly - especially, the image was very unstable.

If you use a cathode capacitor, be sure to try it on both sides, to ensure you get best sound.

The drawing shows exactly what I use on 300Bs. The cathode resistors are split, to try to ensure that the anode current drawn from each side is the same.

C2 is the Western Electric cap, designed to improve supply rejection.
Hi Rod Coleman!

Do you want say about the circuit???
It is good or no??? i want try use it for my 300B Se. What is wrong in the circuit???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CRICUIT-DTH-FILAMENT-2010.jpg (137.0 KB, 703 views)
Old 2nd April 2010, 10:23 AM   #370
diyAudio Member

Quanghao a resistor before and coils between caps can be bad

Hide this!Advertise here!