• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yeah, that is an animal of a different color. Output impedance will be high and therefore its ability to drive cable and amplifier input capacitance is going to be very limited particularly with an AX, the AT or AU would work better. Too much gain for most applications IMO. Still not highly recommended. It is cute though - give it that. :)

Meanwhile, 2P29L with Ale's anode module, a transformer, or choke (or even resistor) load, combined with a source (or cathode, or emitter) follower will be very satisfying.
I've been comparing my "pretty good" 2P29L preamp to my 112A preamp and the 112a is clearly better, so the 2P29Ls are going back in the cupboard. I've rebuilt the 2P29L preamp into a 112A preamp and it sounds really nice. I always regarded the tube as a poor cousin of the 01A but there's a lot more to it than I thought. Not cheap anymore and harder to find in Europe. OK if you're in the USA.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Kevin - how HA-133 compares to Monolith?
They don't really compare, the Monolith outclasses the HA-133 in every way. more bandwidth, lower distortion, rated for 30mA operating current, etc. Subjectively and IMO they are more transparent and more extended in both the HF and LF regions. I did a lot of measurements, but this is 6 years ago and I can't easily locate them otherwise I'd share them here. The real point is that I recommend Monolith Magnetics without reservation, and they have provided line to plate, IT, power, and output transformers for most of my projects over the past 6 years. (I have also used them in projects I built for several friends including two EML20 based line stages, and a 4 chassis GM70 stereo pair.)

Reactions: 1 user
From my experience and others, the hum of these tubes goes down tremendously if the tubes are shielded. Has anyone found any shields that were made for this size tube? Alumimum foil works, but looks terrible!
I love the Goat shields, but I can never find any that fit this tube. Would love to find a vintage shield that looks good.

Look for reproductions of the Western Electric tube shields. I found some on eBay in the past. Other sources are antique radio shows and hamfests.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for WE tube shields. I actually have a 71a, but 26 and 71a appear to be the same tube size.

Maybe I'll try some of the antique radio or ham radio boards. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not aware of any in-person antique radio or hamfest shows, but will look. Thanks!

They don't really compare, the Monolith outclasses the HA-133 in every way. more bandwidth, lower distortion, rated for 30mA operating current, etc. Subjectively and IMO they are more transparent and more extended in both the HF and LF regions. I did a lot of measurements, but this is 6 years ago and I can't easily locate them otherwise I'd share them here. The real point is that I recommend Monolith Magnetics without reservation, and they have provided line to plate, IT, power, and output transformers for most of my projects over the past 6 years. (I have also used them in projects I built for several friends including two EML20 based line stages, and a 4 chassis GM70 stereo pair.)
Valuable recommendation, especially considering your Lundahl background.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Use the AVC as part of a parafeed arrangement with a suitable choke load on the plate of your dht, a blocking capacitor from plate to AVC.
I use the AVC after the Ale's Gyrator with output capacitor for years without problem but a couple of days ago the sound become distorted like no bass & with quick cutoffs, all the summer don't listened music....

Last edited: