#26 pre amp - Page 26 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2009, 07:00 PM   #251
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: McKinney, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoflexer View Post
Blankets are nice, they keep me warm

(Curly, no disrespect meant, I'm just sayin'!)
None taken Iko
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 07:53 PM   #252
diyAudio Member
 
coolzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UAE
One of the other thread which Andy posted in 2007, he mentioned about hum due to unbalanced filament supply when 26 tubes put in series. Can someone explain this? I use series filament and sometimes experiencing slight high frequency hum which I believe due to the same reason. I experimented with different filament voltage and current variations where I noticed that the 26 inducing hum when the current goes below certain limit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 07:57 PM   #253
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: London
Hi,

I've stopped putting tubes in series - separate filament supplies for each tube. Don't know if hum was the problem, but I just made the decision to use one supply per tube. I just use a big cap and a LM1084 so the filament supply is pretty simple, apart from the sheer bulk of it including the heatsink.

andy
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 09:01 PM   #254
diyAudio Member
 
coolzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UAE
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjevans View Post
Hi,

I've stopped putting tubes in series - separate filament supplies for each tube. Don't know if hum was the problem, but I just made the decision to use one supply per tube. I just use a big cap and a LM1084 so the filament supply is pretty simple, apart from the sheer bulk of it including the heatsink.

andy
I tried simple voltage sources following simple current source using LM317 and 10000uf caps but still there was a loud buzzing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 10:08 PM   #255
disco is offline disco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
disco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolzero View Post
I tried simple voltage sources following simple current source using LM317 and 10000uf caps but still there was a loud buzzing.
Do you use seperate transformer secundaries for LV?
Further, connecting the filaments in series makes a beautiful antenna for strayfields.
__________________
jaap
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 10:19 PM   #256
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: London
Hi coolzero,

you say you have "voltage sources following simple current source". I'm not quite sure I understand you here. If you mean "I have a voltage source following a current source" that makes no sense - the Ronan Reg type circuit has voltage reg first then current source as last in the chain before the filaments. Current source should be last, even a common mode choke seems to make no improvement after the current source, though curiously it improves things after a voltage reg. But you may mean "first I tried a current source, then I tried a voltage reg and they both hummed".

I can't diagnose your problem, but I can only say my setup doesn't hum. I use a LM1084. And I use a seperate power supply - the transformer is in another box, and so is the HT including the choke - only DC goes to the signal chassis. And each filament has a separate transformer. I have loads of small 6v transformers which I use for filaments. And another thing - these filament transformers can pick up hum if they are close to chokes and mains transformers even in the remote PSU box. The whole filament supply from beginning to end has to be kept away from any magnetic fields.

andy
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 04:39 AM   #257
diyAudio Member
 
coolzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UAE
Quote:
Originally Posted by disco View Post
Do you use seperate transformer secundaries for LV?
Further, connecting the filaments in series makes a beautiful antenna for strayfields.
I used a single transformer with 2 separate secondary windings.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 05:03 AM   #258
diyAudio Member
 
coolzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UAE
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjevans View Post
Hi coolzero,

you say you have "voltage sources following simple current source". I'm not quite sure I understand you here. If you mean "I have a voltage source following a current source" that makes no sense - the Ronan Reg type circuit has voltage reg first then current source as last in the chain before the filaments. Current source should be last, even a common mode choke seems to make no improvement after the current source, though curiously it improves things after a voltage reg. But you may mean "first I tried a current source, then I tried a voltage reg and they both hummed".

I can't diagnose your problem, but I can only say my setup doesn't hum. I use a LM1084. And I use a seperate power supply - the transformer is in another box, and so is the HT including the choke - only DC goes to the signal chassis. And each filament has a separate transformer. I have loads of small 6v transformers which I use for filaments. And another thing - these filament transformers can pick up hum if they are close to chokes and mains transformers even in the remote PSU box. The whole filament supply from beginning to end has to be kept away from any magnetic fields.

andy
Andy,

Sorry for the confusion in my explanation. It is somewhat similar to Ronan's with voltage regulator first and current regulator after that. It was not two of those separably I have used. I used a transformer with dual secondary windings of each 5V/1A. Everywhere I read about this, people mentioned that this works like a charm but for me it was a hummingbird in side my 26 pre.

Later I found those SMPS and used one for the filament but then came this slight high frequency hum from one channel I believe becuase of not enough current floating across the series filaments. One other thing I noticed was that, when 26 filaments put on series one of the filament slightly brighter than other and there is a slight delay always when those are lighten up. One fires up a second or two later than the other. There was no change of this behaviour even the different tubes were used. Something funny.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 10:08 AM   #259
disco is offline disco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
disco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Holland
hi, without knowing your exact build it's guessing what went wrong. This artice holds all information you need for building a hum free amplifier. I'll upload some data in a couple of hours so you can compare yours.
__________________
jaap
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 11:12 AM   #260
diyAudio Member
 
coolzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UAE
Quote:
Originally Posted by disco View Post
hi, without knowing your exact build it's guessing what went wrong. This artice holds all information you need for building a hum free amplifier. I'll upload some data in a couple of hours so you can compare yours.
Hi,

I started with Jim's 26 pre and modified it to the present level with help of Kevin and many other in this forum. I have posted the schematic and the details in this same thread before. Initially I followed all Jim's advices mentioned in his site but with less luck. Even Jim had mentioned that he had hum issue with his 26 preamp which he couldn't get rid of. What I have now is far better than the original design in terms of hum and sound quality. I checked and re-checked many time of grounding, filtering, shielding and all the other possible hum inducing mishaps hence pretty sure that the slight high frequency hum I am getting time to time in my audio path is not related to any of those usual suspects.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:23 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2