• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

Actually I have done many of this on my phono stage. There is already tesla az1 mesh rectifier with tesla old transformer. And its sounds really good. First and second capacitor best to be foil oil, or at least oil filled its true. But last one i still preffer good electrolytic, not because of the size or filtering, but because it has more balanced sound in my system. Allfilm sound shouty and annoying. Telfon caps are defenitly not to my taste too.
But the question is is there any difference between relatively cheap transformer and super expansive japanese. Should we avoid toroid or maybe preffer c-core more than ei? I ask because next my move is to buy one for my preamp, i wanna be sure.

The expensive Japanese transformers may be very good for amplifier power supplies, where the music signal (current) flows in the DC supply capacitor. Class-AB transistor power amp is an example.

But with filament supplies using my regulator, the signal is very highly-isolated from the Raw DC supply. So there is effectively zero signal-current in the DC supply.

With filament supplies, the important consideration is that the DC supply is floating. This means that anything you can do to block noise from coming through the transformer will help prevent common-mode noise reaching the amplifier.

EI transformers are good, and the leakage capacitance may be as low as 40pF. Screened transformers are potentially better still.

Some of the Audio-grade transformers are designed to run with lower magnetic field, and more safety-margin for the maximum input voltage. This is a good idea for preamps, and helps keep magnetic field away from signal wiring and components.
- Or you can mount the transformer in a separate chassis, and screen the cables between power and signal boxes.

For Anode/Plate supply for preamp -

It depends on the circuit.

If you use unregulated DC for the anode, and transformer output, the design will be sensitive to transformer quality.

If you use Ale's anode-load (gyrator, µ-follower) or if you use a DC shunt regulator (example: SSHV) - the transformer is less instrusive, and you can use the screened audio-toroidal here too, or EI.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I'm just curious about the SQ of these:

powertron-fpr-2-350.jpg

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Please comment on my layout. See image. I am going for a single chassis build. Let's see if I get hum and noise. Might put a divider to make it basically two chassis.

PS is to the left. Main circuit to the right. DC heaters at the top, Ale's source follower at the bottom right.

DC heating toroid is on its way. Planned to go between the main trafo and the rectifier tube.

Attachments

• IMG_4889.JPG
    IMG_4889.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 277