#26 pre amp - Page 247 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2013, 04:14 PM   #2461
diyAudio Member

I will use filament bias so not necessary as I supposed right?
Old 6th February 2013, 05:14 PM   #2462
diyAudio Member

I use a small grid stopper, 390R. It may not be necessary - I haven't looked into this. You absolutely have to have a grid leak or the tube will oscillate. I have a 100K pot on the input so that acts as grid leak.

You can use up to 60uF cap with the AZ1. Normally a small cap is good so you have choke input or "virtual" choke input. If you do this you have to make sure the choke is in regulation - may need to be followed by a resistor to earth probably somewhere round 10K and needs to have sufficient wattage.

But since this is followed by chokes, caps and a shunt reg (or DN2540 + glow tube), it may not be too audible. If you need to keep the HT high enough then sure, you can use a bigger first cap. If you have plenty of voltage you might go for a "purist" approach and use choke input or a cap up to 1uf or so. Plenty of choices, and they all work.
Old 6th February 2013, 05:17 PM   #2463
diyAudio Member

Thanks Andy, the problem is that I have a tx of 125VAC 100W.

Cheers
Felipe
Old 6th February 2013, 05:18 PM   #2464
diyAudio Member

I don't know if go for voltage doubler or use the 2nd tx 125vac 100W?
Old 6th February 2013, 05:41 PM   #2465
diyAudio Member

Are you saying you have two transformers both 125vAC? You could put the secondaries in series to get 250v. You would need to get the phase right - if you have 2 identical transformers the end of the first winding should go to the start of the second winding.

Last edited by andyjevans; 6th February 2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 6th February 2013, 05:43 PM   #2466
diyAudio Member

Yes. I know wich one is the phase so I can connect in series to get 250VAC.

Last edited by merlin el mago; 6th February 2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 6th February 2013, 06:03 PM   #2467
diyAudio Member

My PSU target for B+ is 170VDC 30mA for Salas SSHV2, what about attached PSU?
Attached Images
File Type: png 2 x 125VAC #26.png (158.3 KB, 233 views)
Old 6th February 2013, 06:07 PM   #2468
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjevans View Post
I use a small grid stopper, 390R. It may not be necessary - I haven't looked into this. You absolutely have to have a grid leak or the tube will oscillate. I have a 100K pot on the input so that acts as grid leak.

You can use up to 60uF cap with the AZ1. Normally a small cap is good so you have choke input or "virtual" choke input. If you do this you have to make sure the choke is in regulation - may need to be followed by a resistor to earth probably somewhere round 10K and needs to have sufficient wattage.

But since this is followed by chokes, caps and a shunt reg (or DN2540 + glow tube), it may not be too audible. If you need to keep the HT high enough then sure, you can use a bigger first cap. If you have plenty of voltage you might go for a "purist" approach and use choke input or a cap up to 1uf or so. Plenty of choices, and they all work.
Andy if I not use pot wich value for grid leak resistor 100K?
Old 6th February 2013, 06:19 PM   #2469
diyAudio Member

I'd say more like this, with 250v secondary. I use all polypropylene caps - motor runs. The 10K resistor after the first choke is probably overkill - it depends on what the circuit draws in terms of current. I don't know what the shunt reg draws. You could leave out the 1uF input cap or use somewhere between 0.1 and 1uF. I like to put a small cap in there. Choke input with 250v secondary should end up giving you just over 200v with all the chokes, caps, resistors etc, before the shunt reg. That would be fine for a DN2540 plus 150v glow tube. Don't know about a Salas reg - never used one. If the voltage ends up being low (the resistor after the choke will lower the voltage depending what size it is) you can increase the size of the first cap. You need to read about how to keep chokes in regulation and look at the formula for choke input. For cap input above about 4uF it probably doesn't matter. I'm being a bit vague about this because I have a Mac and can't run the PSU calculator.
Attached Images
File Type: png PSU Hybrid AZ1 chokeinput.png (33.6 KB, 229 views)

Last edited by andyjevans; 6th February 2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 6th February 2013, 06:38 PM   #2470
diyAudio Member

The SSHV2 reg draws itself 20mA, psud2 can't simulate the 10K 14W but can simulate a constant current: do you know the mA to calculate with psud2?

Hide this!Advertise here!