Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2013, 08:30 PM   #2441
diyAudio Member

Two SSHV2 + CCS + VR?
Old 3rd February 2013, 08:32 PM   #2442
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
It looks neat outside, but to me it is always torture to see heatsinks with fins oriented perpendicularly to air flow. Like sandpaper on teeth. :-)
I believe you mean the smaller HS? If so, don't worry they are over specified, meaning that they get just very slightly warm, and are connected to the big top plate for extra heat escape, not at all needed.

As you can see the shunt boards which releases much more heat, have the HS in the correct position.
Old 3rd February 2013, 08:33 PM   #2443
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
Two SSHV2 + CCS + VR?
2 of each, yeph!
Old 3rd February 2013, 08:33 PM   #2444
diyAudio Member

Why? do you want to experiment? SSHV2 vs CCS+VR?
Old 3rd February 2013, 08:38 PM   #2445
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylsavor View Post
Hi Rui!

Excellent job! Very neat wiring! Congratulations!

Thomas
Many thanks Thomas, this is possible due also to your effortless help!
Old 3rd February 2013, 08:42 PM   #2446
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
Why? do you want to experiment? SSHV2 vs CCS+VR?
Well, because I had them laying around to be used, also because I am following the very good implementation from Moglia (thanks also for the help).

The VR tubes don't do any harm, and they look great!!!
Old 3rd February 2013, 08:46 PM   #2447
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogliaa View Post
Hey Rui, it looks superb! Well done! How much work left for a first listening test?
Ale
Hi Ale,
Well the power supply unit, but already started the job, may be like one to two weeks.
Will keep you posted.
Cheers.
Old 3rd February 2013, 09:07 PM   #2448
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogliaa View Post
I don't think 1:1 is a good approach for the 26. The Ra is too high so probably won't be great in bass and less efficient driving your cables and amp input. If you need more gain go for increasing the gain of your driver instead?
I don't think replacing the 4P1L as a driver is an option - certainly not right now. The LL1660 in 4.5:4 sounds great to me. I don't think this is a problem. My cables can be as short as 15cm (6") so I'm not worried about those.

At the end of the day some Lundahls sound better than others. The LL1660 sounds best to me. The LL1692 or LL1692A has sounded just a fraction more dull to my ears, though quite similar in frequency response. Bass is there. But my LL1692 is gapped for 10mA. My LL1660 is gapped fror 5mA. I could put 7mA through the LL1692 - not sure what that would achieve. I could also try it in 2:1 but I'd be a bit short of gain.

Where I need more gain is in my front end - I'm only getting about 0.5V out of my DAC. If I fixed that up to more like 1 or 2v I'd get better ratios on the transformers.

The LL1692A is a decent transformer. As for the LL1635, it was used in the Amity so it has its fans. It's gapped for 5mA so I don't know what it likes as an input. It saturates at 9mA so should cope with 5mA. Maybe it prefers something more like 3mA. Maybe a 01A.
Old 3rd February 2013, 10:46 PM   #2449
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclourenco View Post
I believe you mean the smaller HS? If so, don't worry they are over specified, meaning that they get just very slightly warm, and are connected to the big top plate for extra heat escape, not at all needed.

As you can see the shunt boards which releases much more heat, have the HS in the correct position.
I don't mean they don't work. I mean my own feelings when I see something similar.

It is sub-conscious reaction, can't do anything about that.
Old 4th February 2013, 03:56 AM   #2450
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandarae View Post
Is it really necessary to suspend the 26 tubes from the chassis? Just want to know.
Anyone have inputs to this? Thanks!

Abe

Hide this!Advertise here!