#26 pre amp - Page 228 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2013, 07:42 PM   #2271
pred is offline pred  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

That is great post, I am in travels from Saturday and will be reading this index with great pleasure

Thanks so much 12B4A
Old 2nd January 2013, 07:48 PM   #2272
diyAudio Member

cool
Old 3rd January 2013, 12:49 PM   #2273
H.Michi is offline H.Michi  Japan
diyAudio Member

I just completed modification to my 26 pre-amp "from battery to the fillament biasing".
As a result I feel the sound surely improved.
However, I feel a residual hum? noise (0.31mV) which was not included in battery bias. I measured by ac voltmeter(Kenwood VT-171) at the output terminal (600 ohm).
Under such circumstances, I wonder are there any suggestions or idea in getting rid of the said residual noise?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26puri-jpeg.jpg (155.8 KB, 400 views)
Old 3rd January 2013, 01:19 PM   #2274
работник
diyAudio Member

Hiro, such a high level of noise is not expected - especially with the excellent filtering of raw dc shown in your circuit.

my suggestions for checks:

1. Please measure ac voltage (common-mode) at input of filament Regulator: Meter + at Raw dc +, Meter - connected at cathode of 26 (GND).

2. Please measure ac voltage (differential-mode) at input of filament Regulator: Meter + at Raw dc +, Meter - at Raw dc -. This should be <100mV

3. Please measure ac voltage (common-mode) at output of filament Regulator: Meter + at filament +, Meter - connected at cathode of 26 (GND). This should be < 1mV

differential mode ac voltage (Filament + to Filament -) should be << 1mV

4. filament transformer has low capacitance from primary to secondary? 50 to 90pF is a good value.
Also, transformer construction is E-I ?

4. possibly, a capacitor of 1000uF to 3300uF connected at Regulator PCB (input terminals), may be useful. Low impedance type: Panasonic FC, Nichicon PM etc.

5. Snubber network R-C (R=47R 1/2W; C=47nF stacked film) placed across filament transformer secondary is helpful to eliminate leakage-inductance waveform problems (large spikes).
Old 3rd January 2013, 01:20 PM   #2275
diyAudio Member

Rod YHPM
Old 3rd January 2013, 02:04 PM   #2276
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Coleman View Post
Hiro, such a high level of noise is not expected - especially with the excellent filtering of raw dc shown in your circuit.

my suggestions for checks:

1. Please measure ac voltage (common-mode) at input of filament Regulator: Meter + at Raw dc +, Meter - connected at cathode of 26 (GND).

2. Please measure ac voltage (differential-mode) at input of filament Regulator: Meter + at Raw dc +, Meter - at Raw dc -. This should be <100mV

3. Please measure ac voltage (common-mode) at output of filament Regulator: Meter + at filament +, Meter - connected at cathode of 26 (GND). This should be < 1mV

differential mode ac voltage (Filament + to Filament -) should be << 1mV

4. filament transformer has low capacitance from primary to secondary? 50 to 90pF is a good value.
Also, transformer construction is E-I ?

4. possibly, a capacitor of 1000uF to 3300uF connected at Regulator PCB (input terminals), may be useful. Low impedance type: Panasonic FC, Nichicon PM etc.

5. Snubber network R-C (R=47R 1/2W; C=47nF stacked film) placed across filament transformer secondary is helpful to eliminate leakage-inductance waveform problems (large spikes).
Hi Rod, Thank you very much for your very quick responce!!
I will check following your advices.
BTW, my previous schematic was wrong one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26 Pre-amp Filament bias.jpg (126.3 KB, 343 views)
Old 3rd January 2013, 02:09 PM   #2277
tyo94 is offline tyo94  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tyo94
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Michi View Post
I just completed modification to my 26 pre-amp "from battery to the fillament biasing".
As a result I feel the sound surely improved.
However, I feel a residual hum? noise (0.31mV) which was not included in battery bias. I measured by ac voltmeter(Kenwood VT-171) at the output terminal (600 ohm).
Under such circumstances, I wonder are there any suggestions or idea in getting rid of the said residual noise?
Hiro,

What kind of Line Output Transformer do you use within you preamp? Seems interesting that it has finemet core. Is that feastrex? How is the sound?
Old 4th January 2013, 04:12 AM   #2278
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyo94 View Post
Hiro,

What kind of Line Output Transformer do you use within you preamp? Seems interesting that it has finemet core. Is that feastrex? How is the sound?
Ty094,
I bought a custom-designed OPT (FM15K(200H)-150x2) via my friend and honestly I do not know the maker`s name.
As far as I know, they are small company in Saitama and they may be supply the finemet core OPT`s to Andix Audio or may be Noguchi.

Specification of FM15K(200H)-150x2:
winding ratio: 1:0.22
Inductance: 212H(5Hz) 15K
216H(100Hz)
256H(1KHz)
Maximum current: 15mA/15K
DCR primary 783 ohm x2
Secondary 43ohm x2
Frequency response 8Hz ~ 30KHz (-3dB)

The sound impression is warm, brilliant and less distortion.
Old 5th January 2013, 01:23 AM   #2279
tcqanh is offline tcqanh  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Michi View Post
Hi Michi,

Do you compare the sound between your pre 71A and 26 ? Which makes you satisfied ?

Regards,

QA.
Old 5th January 2013, 09:24 AM   #2280
diyAudio Member

tcqanh,

I`d like 26pre rather than 71a.
Although 71a was a capacitor cuppling with normal biasing.
I will try 71a with fillament bias later.

Regards
Hiro

Hide this!Advertise here!