• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

The gyrator doesn't have a protection when the output or anode is shorted. If it is, the top MOSFET (IXTP08N100D or DN2540) and likely the lower FET will die. Unless you exceed the VDSS max of the LND150 the CCS should survive. Generally by replacing the top MOSFET and the jFET should suffice to fix the issue.
Have you tracked what caused the issue in your case?
Cheers
Ale
Hi Ale, I suspect it's the lower JBF862. I replaced the upper DN2540 MOSFET as I had some, but that didn't fix it. I haven't got back to the amp since, I have too much on at the moment. But it looks like BF862 is obsolete now at Mouser and Digikey - what would you suggest as an alternative?

Hi Ale, I suspect it's the lower JBF862. I replaced the upper DN2540 MOSFET as I had some, but that didn't fix it. I haven't got back to the amp since, I have too much on at the moment. But it looks like BF862 is obsolete now at Mouser and Digikey - what would you suggest as an alternative?

Hello Simon! for BF862, look closer at hand .... Leeds! 19K stock, today.

BF862,215 NXP, JFET Transistor, JFET, -20 V, 10 mA, 25 mA, -1.2 V, SOT-23, JFET | Farnell UK

They will be gone eventually - after all, they were designed for AM radio-receiver front-ends.

I too have become more accepting of sand in valve amps, starting with Rod's filament supplies and more recently Ale's gyrator, which I use with 26s.<snip>
The sand I haven't come to terms with yet is replacing slow start valve rectifiers with, say, SiC. I've read here a number of times that SiC is superior, but I can't quite get over my prejudice for the slow start. Anyone want to help me?

I'll try to help, Simon.

I like the Infineon & Wolfspeed SiC rectifiers, too. They allow a power-amp build with large, high quality capacitors.

I removed the LCLC supply from my power amp, and installed SiC rectifiers -Wolfspeed C4D02120A - and large capacitors ( 820µF 550V Kemet ALS60) x2 per channel. After these, a capacitor-multiplier (using large N-channel FET FQA9N80C), followed output capacitor LCR 30µF 630V FP-AU.

Superb sound. The cap-multiplier can be configured to gently ramp the supply voltage, too.

To protect the filament when it is part-warm, the best solution is to apply extra grid bias, until everything is stable, and Vf is at rated value. Apply enough bias that the anode current is zero when warmed up. Example: for 300B, apply -120V at switch-ON.

I'll try to help, Simon.

I like the Infineon & Wolfspeed SiC rectifiers, too. They allow a power-amp build with large, high quality capacitors.

I removed the LCLC supply from my power amp, and installed SiC rectifiers -Wolfspeed C4D02120A - and large capacitors ( 820µF 550V Kemet ALS60) x2 per channel. After these, a capacitor-multiplier (using large N-channel FET FQA9N80C), followed output capacitor LCR 30µF 630V FP-AU.

Superb sound. The cap-multiplier can be configured to gently ramp the supply voltage, too.

To protect the filament when it is part-warm, the best solution is to apply extra grid bias, until everything is stable, and Vf is at rated value. Apply enough bias that the anode current is zero when warmed up. Example: for 300B, apply -120V at switch-ON.

Many thanks for this post - I am saving it for future reference!

Hi Rod, I'm pleased you chimed in :). Good news regarding BF862 - when I checked last night the Farnell website was down for maintenance so I looked at Mouser and Digikey. Leeds is indeed a whole lot closer!

Thanks for the great info on rectifiers and PS too - I need to have a think about it tonight when I can have a read up on a capacitor multipliers. The variable bias that needs to vary with conduction, and be out of circuit when not in use needs some thinking about too!

(BTW the shunt cascode boards were built a while ago but I haven't had the time to try them in GM70 yet :()

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I'll try to help, Simon.

Hi Rod,

Could you share the schematic of your cap-multiplier?

TIA
Felipe

I'll try to help, Simon.

Well, I don't want to open a can of worms and I know that there are other threads covering the use of SMPS.
I'm using a step up converter (200-600V) SMPS feeding an LC network (including same 820uF Kemet ALS60) and then a final DC-Link 40uF film cap including some CM choke and ferrite beads to clean up.

Result is outstanding in terms of sound and noise level. I was planning to add a cap multiplier but it wasn't necessary. As I wanted to use this as a variable HT supply to experiment with different DHTs stages the cap multiplier wasn't the best approach, probably a properly called simulated inductor (gyrator) instead.

I'm experimenting on the same lines with the LT raw supply but unfortunately haven't got to it yet. it's definitely more challenging.

Ale

hi Ale - DC-DC conversion for B+ is good, and not controversial, if implemented properly.

DC-DC not the same as mains-to-dc converters, which inject plenty of common-mode noise current into your ground network, risking contamination of DACs, MC cartridge stages, etc.
The noise current arises because the converters use the secondary circuit as EMC grounding (there's a cap from mains-side to the output). Eliminating this noise current can be tough.

DC-DC conversion does not have this problem, as it still uses a 50Hz transformer - and so benefits from the isolation this gives.

Glad to hear you had good results with my recommended big ALS61 capacitor!

I can hear words clearly that I never heard before in choral music,
step 2, electrostats.
Not much action on this thread recently so I thought I'd post a build I just did.

I built myself a 10Y line stage with filament bias at 1 amp so I could swap in a pair of 26s without much work. It didn't take long - just change the cathode resistors to 10 ohms and dial in 6mA on the gyrator. I attach the schematic.

I can say straightaway that the 10Y is a better sound. More clarity, more detail, more dynamic, tighter bass. I was surprised that the usual "warm and euphonic" sound of the 26 wasn't in evidence with the gyrator. It was clear and neutral in sound. But that extra dimension of magic with the 01A and 10Y wasn't there, alas. It stayed on earth. A good clear DHT sound nevertheless and would see off most other line stages. If you hadn't heard what a 10Y or 01A sounds like you'd probably look no further. I don't know if in the case of the 26 the gyrator is the best solution, but it makes demands on a plate choke with its higher Rp.

Where does the 2P29L figure in this? Again not a 10Y or 01A and I've only tried it out with a 126C as plate choke. But I like that combination, more than 26 with the gyrator.

I think the future is with the 10Y, once I figure out the best operating conditions. Thankfully I have a few of them. I still need to hear the 2P29L with the gyrator and also the 01A with Ale Moglia's new source follower board, since I'm driving a PSE 4P1L output stage.

My journey into DHTs started around 8 years ago with the 26 and I've only used DHTs since. I have a lot of affection for the tube, but this wasn't its best incarnation even though the operating points are pretty textbook.

th / oxide ?
globe/st ?

step 2, electrostats.
th / oxide ?
globe/st ?

I quite agree on panel speakers - used to have Maggies, stacked Quads and Caliper Sigs. All marvellous but too big for my listening room which needs to have other functions as well.

I used 10 or 10Y, so thoriated. The 26 was a ST, but I didn't feel like swapping in a globe. No doubt I should have. I think the 26 may need another solution - I liked two 156C in series but they hummed like crazy. Maybe a permalloy shield....