• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

I wanted to build my preamp in one chassis only, but disregarding hum, the size and weight of it all was just too much. You need room to change parts and tweak the sound. I would say 2 chassis minimum or 3 smaller ones for signal, HT supply and Filament supply. You will not regret it if it is your first build. Trust me.

I have always been using two....one for AC and one for DC....mainly to isolate the vibrations of the transformers and the caps.......

I have always been using two....one for AC and one for DC....mainly to isolate the vibrations of the transformers and the caps.......

When you say AC do you mean just the power transformers and nothing else in one chassis? Please upload pictures. Always something to learn.

I mean two chassis inside, but looks like one chassis outside.....getting rid of all those plugs and solder joints....

Short paths has many advantages of course, but you have to be very clever with positioning and shielding to avoid electromagnetic fields from the mains transformers and the raw DC current pulsing of the filament supplies.

The chassis on the left houses all the AC parts, including the parts for filaments bias, with raw DC going to the amp chassis.

I have tried soldering the umbilical on both side, but that would make moving the two chassis a bit awkward; now it is only soldered on the AC side, with a plug on the amp chassis side.

Attachments

• DCP_1828.JPG
    DCP_1828.JPG
    750.5 KB · Views: 313
  • DCP_1897.JPG
    DCP_1897.JPG
    389.6 KB · Views: 314
The chassis on the left houses all the AC parts, including the parts for filaments bias, with raw DC going to the amp chassis.

I have tried soldering the umbilical on both side, but that would make moving the two chassis a bit awkward; now it is only soldered on the AC side, with a plug on the amp chassis side.

Ok, then I understand.

Nice looking "Shrek" amp by the way. I like the red colour.