• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Interesting! Why did you feel the need to bypass the 0.22's?
As I wrote earlier I use (quasi parafeed) TVC on the output. Parafeed capacitor quality is very important, and I like (good) teflon capacitors, especially V-Cap (I use its for almost a decade).

220nF is a little, 470nF too much, 330nF enough, but I don't have such value V-Cap (450 USD/pair !! ).
FT-3 is a good capacitor (and damned cheap), but some enhancement is not a bad solution. I own -spare- 100nF V-Cap, so I used them as bypass.

In my experience 5-10% bypass with very good quality capacitor hides main coupling capacitor weaknesses. IMHO.

All depends your load.
Ah, of course! And using the V-Cap coupling cap calculator, into a 33k power amp input, I get a -3dB point of 10.26 Hz with 0.47uF. And 24.11Hz with 0.2uF! So I need more capacitance, if that is correct. I have more 0.1uF FT2s, so I could parallel another 1 or 2.
But have I worked that out correctly, and would it filter the DC adequately?

EDIT. But hang on a mo! I have a TVC in between, so where am I now? Why is life so complicated? :)

Last edited:
Hi!

I'm using a AVC(300ohm) at the output of my 26 transformer couple (LL 2745) preamp without any hum or noise problem.

I also own a 01a preamp with Gyrator output. I'm using S&B TX-101 TVC(50k ohm) at the output. Also without any problem. However, if a 300ohm impeadence AVC being used here, the 01a preamp will show some problem.

Hi!

I'm using a AVC(300ohm) at the output of my 26 transformer couple (LL 2745) preamp without any hum or noise problem.

I also own a 01a preamp with Gyrator output. I'm using S&B TX-101 TVC(50k ohm) at the output. Also without any problem. However, if a 300ohm impeadence AVC being used here, the 01a preamp will show some problem.
My Sowter 9335 TVC quotes 10k ohm. Which would suggest that increasing the output capacitor on the gyrator would be a good idea. If my conclusions are wrong please feel free to jump in here. :D

if you want to test your caps, solder cap into preamp output and bias with 1m to output.
then measure the dc voltage accross the resistor till it stabilizes. compare results with 200 , 400 or 1000v caps.
AC test would be to run 10khz into a 1k ohm load and measure voltage drop accross capacitor.

Awkwardbydesign, you can lower the gain of your amp just by placing a resistor divider at the amp input. eg. 15k / 3.3k would yield about 4.5v input for 250w.
check amp input resistor to maintain input impedance. if amp is 27k then use 22k / 5.6k as your divider

Last edited:
Awkwardbydesign, you can lower the gain of your amp just by placing a resistor divider at the amp input. eg. 15k / 3.3k would yield about 4.5v input for 250w.
check amp input resistor to maintain input impedance. if amp is 27k then use 22k / 5.6k as your divider
Thank you. Unfortunately I am one of those who dislikes added resistor attenuation. Anyway, the TVC attenuator on the output of the 01A is working well, it's just the hum issues I need to deal with if I want to use it without that.