• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

I've tried changing the capacitor on the gyrator boards from Mundorf silver oil to Audio Note silver foil. What an improvement!!! Don't skimp on quality in this position. Just saying.

Attachments

• VIB_8438-2.jpg
    VIB_8438-2.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 286
Money can be "thrown away" in so many ways. To take myself as an example I've bought far to many tubes that will never be used. If I had bought less tubes I could have spent the money on better parts instead. It's a question of priorities.

Anyway, before getting too defensive, I would like to say that it is something spesial about the sound of silver. I really do not think that one of the pioneers of using silver in audio, Hiroyasu Kondo, was only in it for the money. That would do him a great injustice.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, the Vikings were good at amassing silver in their travels, so maybe not much has changed except that the Norwegians are now the happiest nation on earth and they're now all properly "samfunns bevisst".

No, the most happiest nation is the rasta....as long as the joint is smoking. :)

Joke: When the herb run out, the rasta get sober and cry out: what is this sh.t music!? :ppp

Has somebody done any systematical research into changing parts on the Rod Coleman regulator boards for better sound? I have the v7 version and I'll guess that changing the R1 and/or R2 resistors can have some impact, but what about the two 0.22uF capacitors? Any first hand experiences would be greatly appreciated.

It's possible that the R1 construction will make a difference. At Ampère-levels of current, we may meet with some current-noise - and this is construction-dependent. Non-inductive like the Mills, or nonmagnetic, like the Ohmite AG, may be worth trying - though their influence will vary according to the amp's layout (stray E- and B- field dependent).

C4 is buffered from the audio by the whole Regulator, and I cannot believe that it would be able to influence anything.

C3 is in the control path, but the signal voltage across it is well below 1mV, so I would be surprised if there were any differences with fancy dielectrics. If you want to roll this one, you can try 150nF to 330nF as outer limits of acceptable capacitance. The lead-pitch is 5mm, for the PCB position.

For my main system with EML300Bs, I use the Regulators with exactly the same parts that are included in the kit. But could be willing to try out parts that develop a strong following.