• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

Joined 2009
Paid Member
1KHz sinus, left signal generator, center output 26, right output LL1660

Attachments

• WP_20161206_004[1].jpg
    WP_20161206_004[1].jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 349
  • WP_20161206_005[1].jpg
    WP_20161206_005[1].jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 341
  • WP_20161206_006[1].jpg
    WP_20161206_006[1].jpg
    388 KB · Views: 330
Thanks to all for the help. I will try all the options and see what I get.
Thomas; your timely post has saved me asking those questions!
Apart from the sibilance issue I have (which may or may not be related!), the #26 pre does seem to allow more of the music through than anything I have owned previously. So those scope shots were a bit of a shock! All your replies have helped my understanding of what to expect from a transformer coupled output. Using a scope is new to me; a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, eh? :confused:
At the moment I am very low on energy, so it may take me a little while to work through the tests.
Richard.
(I thought I had better add my name, so you don't have to keep calling me awkward! :D)

In reply to #4084:
You use a lot of solder...
But it seems to be wired for Alt S.
The best you can do is unsolder the B+, plate connection and secondary output connections and instead connect your signal generator to the primary. Use a 1kHz sine wave.
Then measure the secondary output with your scope to check if you have the promised slight step up ratio. Don't use any secondary load resistors.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
In reply to #4084:
You use a lot of solder...
But it seems to be wired for Alt S.
The best you can do is unsolder the B+, plate connection and secondary output connections and instead connect your signal generator to the primary. Use a 1kHz sine wave.
Then measure the secondary output with your scope to check if you have the promised slight step up ratio. Don't use any secondary load resistors.

Not exactly 4 : 4.5 more like 1 : 1 but at least don't reduce the signal. Left pic signal generator direct, center pic LL1660 output, right pic pin measurement.

Attachments

• WP_20161206_010[1].jpg
    WP_20161206_010[1].jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 109
  • WP_20161206_009[1].jpg
    WP_20161206_009[1].jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 89
  • WP_20161206_008[1].jpg
    WP_20161206_008[1].jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 139
I have had another play with the scope, using sine waves this time, and plotted the output from 10Hz to 100kHz, 33k ohm loading. It took me ages to find my graph paper, unearthing all sorts in the loft in the process. Several issues of Speaker Builder, my old designs for calligraphy and signwriting, the crossover details for my Shackman electrostatic panels, etc, etc. :D
Naturally I forgot to write down which trace is which, so won't post them until I've gone over them again, but they looked OK-ish, apart from some strange doubling at certain frequencies; it may be my scope or my settings.
20161208_172732_zps66oitnue.jpg

Anyway, here are the relative levels, set at a nominal 1V output.
31366141602_74a8d62028_c.jpg

30703688353_74f253d3da_c.jpg

I will try this again with different loadings on the output (I have a 3k3 resistor at hand), and with my other pair of #26 valves.
Richard.

So 2dB down at 20kHz is OK? I already have HF loss in my room (overdamped; I will try to change the absorption behind me to diffraction. I have to convince my wife it will look OK!), so losing more HF is not ideal.
And I am not convinced the cheap Chinese sig gen is putting out a clean signal. One of these things. 2MHz DDS Function Signal Generator Frequency Counter Square Wave Sweep TTL Panel | eBay
I have a big old valve sine generator, so I think I'll fire that up and see how it looks.

Last edited:
So 2dB down at 20kHz is OK? I already have HF loss in my room (overdamped; I will try to change the absorption behind me to diffraction. I have to convince my wife it will look OK!), so losing more HF is not ideal.
And I am not convinced the cheap Chinese sig gen is putting out a clean signal. One of these things. 2MHz DDS Function Signal Generator Frequency Counter Square Wave Sweep TTL Panel | eBay
I have a big old valve sine generator, so I think I'll fire that up and see how it looks.

If you are using the switchmode PSU that came with the sig-gen, then you may get noise injected along with the signal. That is what I found with a similar Chinese gen and PSU. Putting a decent power supply on the gen made a huge difference.

If you are using the switchmode PSU that came with the sig-gen, then you may get noise injected along with the signal. That is what I found with a similar Chinese gen and PSU. Putting a decent power supply on the gen made a huge difference.
I can try that. But the valve sig gen gave the same result.
And is the 2dB droop the price I must pay for using the transformer output? In which case maybe I should try Ale's gyrator.