• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

In my preamp PSUs I use only direct heating rectifier tubes.

My prefered type is AZ1 mesh (I have some Telefunken AZ1 mesh tubes). Not cheap, but affordable (buy once, use for years).

IMHO the best of them is the globe type with large mesh plate.
Actually, that's what I was using, but at the moment the Mullard AZ31 I have just put in sounds more alive. I will have to try swapping them around.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Cunningham and RCA would have been made in the same plant by the time the 26 tube was released.

My Radiotron globe tubes plate structure is precise, the plate disc covers the grid and -mostly- the filament, the distance between plate and top mica is consistent.

The Cunninghams shaping is variable, some plate disc is "lower", some "higher", so top mica almost touching the plate.

The Radiotrons -in my measuring set- THD alters between 0.002 and 0.05, the Cunninghams 0.05-0.13. Most of them has higher distortion.

I've read a little bit more on this hum thing and it seems that hum (50 or 60 Hz) is generated by the mains wiring in houses and that it is transmitting electromagnetic fields in open air to everything that's willing and able to pick it up. And every body - including the human body - picks it up to a greater or lesser degree. If that's correct I'll assume that a big valve (or a big person) is a better receiver or antenna than a small valve.

Has anyone tried changing the polarity of the filament heaters to check if that's making a difference on hum levels?

I personally wouldn't worry too much, but it's your call. I swap old DHTs all the time. 26s are quite robust.

What I do is use my bench supply to test tubes for current at my chosen voltage. Gives some indication of the response. I test 4P1Ls at 2v, for instance, and mark the current on a label I attach to the base. Not as sophisticated as using a valve tester - I have two AVOs which need renovating and which I want to sell if anyone is interested.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks I see in the attached Rod Coleman schematic, but I want to know about subjective opinion of SQ?

Attachments

• 26 preamp.jpeg
    26 preamp.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 272
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Which 1660 (core type: conventional or amorphous), which connection (Alt Q, or S or T). etc...etc.

#26 plate resistance is typical 7k3..7k6 (mean 7k5), so load will be greater than (2x) 15kOhm -better (4x) 30k -.

Z=2*pi*f*L (for the sake of simplicity DCR is omitted)

At 20Hz:

15kOhm= 2*pi*20Hz*L
L:119H

If you want lower output impedance of OPT based line, must use step down transformer, for example Alt Q wired 1660 (4.5:1).

Alt Q connected 1660 inductance only 100H, and recommended source impedance lower than 3k!

Alt S connection (4:4.5) has 130H inductance and source impedance is lower than 14k....but line amplifier output impedance will be greater than in step down case!

No free lunch....