• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

Hi Kevin,
What filament current are you running the 26 with? You can definitely reduce microphonic noise by starving the filament current. I found 850-900mA range to be very good in terms of sound and impact on emission. With rubber suspension and the filament starvation I tried every single combination of ST and globe I had around and found this to be really quiet. Never had a problem again with microphonic noise. This is something I used with more attention in the 4P1L as it's quite tricky as everyone knows.

With regards to electrostatic hum, I simply discarded the used 26 that presented this condition :), so no screening in my case
Ale

#26 preamp

Hi,
Am a newbie here. Wish to seek the advice from this forum re Lundahl LL1660s / 10mA.
Is this the same as the plain 1660? In the 1660s, i noticed there are 6 pins on one side and another 8 pins on the other side. I assumed the side with 8 pins is the same as those on the 1660 and is wired the same way. Am confused with the other with the 6 pins. I wish to wire it into the recommended 4.5:1 for this preamp. How do i wire the 6 pins and what are the 2 extra pins for?
Right now am using a 200H/15mA plate choke with a 1uf coupling cap at the output. I must confess i'm very much satisfied with the 26's performance. Am just curious how it will sound with the 1660s, in place of the choke/coupling cap combo! But first i want to be sure of the 1660s's suitability and the correct wiring re the side with the 6 pins.
Am using either a Jelab Simple 45/2a3 amp or a welborne 300b amp into a Big Fun horns with a lowther ex3 drivers.
Thanks in advance to your advice!
BugC

. . Lundahl LL1660s / 10mA. Is this the same as the plain 1660? . . . I wish to wire it into the recommended 4.5:1 for this preamp. How do i wire the 6 pins and what are the 2 extra pins for? . .
Datasheets : 1660s.pdf and 1660.pdf.
As you can see, the 8 pins are the same. The 2 extra pins on 1660s (13 & 18) are connected to shield. To configure as the 1660s to 4.5:1, connect 16-21, 20 to B+ and 15 to plate, 2-3-9-10 as output, 4-5-7-8 -13-18 to ground.

Hi Felipe, RCA datasheet 26.pdf shows specification heater voltage 1.5V and heater current 1.05A. So heater resistance is 1.5/1.05 = ~1.428 ohm at 1.5V. But heater resistance is not linear, it varies with voltage so can not calculate current at other voltage or calculate voltage at other current, have to measure to be correct.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Felipe, RCA datasheet 26.pdf shows specification heater voltage 1.5V and heater current 1.05A. So heater resistance is 1.5/1.05 = ~1.428 ohm at 1.5V. But heater resistance is not linear, it varies with voltage so can not calculate current at other voltage or calculate voltage at other current, have to measure to be correct.

Hi indra1, thanks for support, how to measure?

Hi indra1, thanks for support, how to measure?
Hi Felipe, I really don't know how to answer this question. If you have no idea how to measure current, voltage or resistance, I strongly suggest you read and understand basic electronics similar to online tube learning newbies #16 before making expensive mistakes or even put your own safety in jeopardy.

hi Felipe,

Yes, please measure current across the 10Ω resistor.

Another way:

Since you have a Coleman Regulator, you can measure voltage across R1 and read Amperes directly.

So with R1 having 1.0V = 1.0A in filament.

It's best not to use Meter in current mode, as they can drop voltage, and spoil the sound while connected.

Hi Felipe, glad to hear you get it, but please try to really understand electronics and the danger involved. I saw you work for several years with vacuum tubes at lethal voltage level without proper understanding on electronics, it is possible that you also have incorrect ideas on safety.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks for your advice indra1 really appreciate, also my English level is very low but thanks to people like Rod, Salas & others always I end the projects safety & with success, due to my difficulty (language & electronics) for me all the projects take a lot or more time.

I ask apologizes to all people that was involved tried to help me if not always I followed his advices (Vinylsavor, andyjevans, etc).