• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

Okay, sorry for that..
I still would like to refer to my old post if you experience that sound again coming from your amp:
It maybe that heat on the plate is causing some tension/vibration on the inner structure of the 26. If it starts to "whistle" try putting your finger on it, gently pressing.. If the whistling diminishes, you know that it is a faulty tube that is susceptible to mechanical stress on the inner structure probably caused by heat..
This can happen sometimes. If you touch the bulb/glass of the tube the sound should change..

Felipe
Is not clear to me what did you change to produce the noise (if any). It all looks to be the valves if you haven't changed anything (e.g. cables, grounding or ground loops). A quick test would be to place your hand close to the 26 and you other hand to safety earth. If proper screening eliminates the hiss then the valve is better to be replaced. If it continues to be there then you need to trace the source of it somewhere else...
Ale

Very interesting Ale!

I'm not using my 26 preamp any more. I just have the 4P1L > 4P1L PSE amp. With 2v in from my ES9023 Dac I get enough volume for my Alpair 10 speakers.

Nice as the 26 preamp is, the sound is cleaner without the extra stage. I never thought I'd move on from the 26 preamp - for me the 26 was the tube that started my whole love affair with DHTs. I remember to this day the moment my jaw dropped on the floor when I first heard it and I believe I said out loud "This is the tube I've been waiting for all my life!"

But there we are - the 4P1L is the tube chez moi these days. 150 of them! And only ever in filament bias, even for the output stage!

Indeed Andy. I'm going to get the 4P1L back. I remember first time I used it ages ago for preamp and got outstanding results with a mu follower Gyrator as needed the gain in the system at that point. I run it al 20mA which is the minimum for optimal performance of 4P1L. Starved filaments and parallel filament sections is a must for very low microphonic feedback.

I now have an LL1660 gapped at 40mA which can be used for both 10Y and 4P1L line stages
Cheers
Ale

Very interesting Ale!

I'm not using my 26 preamp any more. I just have the 4P1L > 4P1L PSE amp. With 2v in from my ES9023 Dac I get enough volume for my Alpair 10 speakers.

Nice as the 26 preamp is, the sound is cleaner without the extra stage. I never thought I'd move on from the 26 preamp - for me the 26 was the tube that started my whole love affair with DHTs. I remember to this day the moment my jaw dropped on the floor when I first heard it and I believe I said out loud "This is the tube I've been waiting for all my life!"

But there we are - the 4P1L is the tube chez moi these days. 150 of them! And only ever in filament bias, even for the output stage!

My 4P1L SE amp sounds very good, sweeter than my 300B on the midrange. Noise is minimum, 0.4mVac. I plan building pre amp 4P1L or 5A6 or 26 to compare to current 71A preamp.

Could you post your schematic? There are very few 4P1L amps in circulation, so it's very interesting to see how they are being designed.

Very cheap, very simple Formula: Mullard E180CC- 4P1L with G3 to anode, G2 running in separate winding, C-core OPT 3.5K - 8 Ohms. 5Y3 is rectified. It beats 300B on midrange. Schema is not available and I will try to draw it as detailed as possible.

Attachments

• E180CC-4P1L SE amp.jpg
    E180CC-4P1L SE amp.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 627
Last edited:
Hi!

Running at 30mA and 250V simulates quite nicely with an -3dB point of about 15Hz

Did you simulate with the primary inductance of the 1660/40mA? It will have maybe 30Hy or even less.

30mA/250V must be an op point with very low grid voltage. I would not give up the headroom capability of such a tube. But that is only my opinion...

Best regards

Thomas