#26 pre amp - Page 167 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2012, 07:27 PM   #1661
Magz is offline Magz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbenonisen View Post
Hello!

I just built a 26 preamp with 5:1 Audionote transformers and the sound is simply amazing. It smokes the 6sn7 or 5687 setup with the same output transformers on every level.

I want to go all DHT on my 300B monoblocks and have some 46 tubes that I will use as a driver. But what to choose as input tube? I probably also need 1:2 input transformers to get enough gain so can somebody give me any clues on what kind of specifications I must look for? Are the Audionotes any good?

Vidar
Which Audionote 5:1 are you using? They have quite a few ranging from pure copper wire to pure silver wire, with various core materials.
Old 27th February 2012, 07:47 PM   #1662
diyAudio Member

I have the cheapest copper version with double C-cores. Boy do I wish for the most expensive silver version.....Heaven knows what that must sound like.
Old 27th February 2012, 07:59 PM   #1663
diyAudio Member

Albertli -

Regarding temperatures, in filament bias the 10 ohm resistors get hot. 100 degrees is not tragic - I think I was getting something like that. I mounted them on top of the chassis so there would be air around them. You can barely touch them - they run hot!! Mine are rated 50 watts (four 10 ohms in series/parallel)

andy
Old 27th February 2012, 08:06 PM   #1664
vgeorge is offline vgeorge  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertli View Post
Hi,

I have my 26 running and seems quite healthy.
Raw filament after rectifier, I have 0.5 ohm, 470uf, 25mH + 2 ohm, 30,000uf - I have 17.6v on this point, but the 2 ohm 10w is hot at 58c after 3 hour, then to Rod's reg. 11.5v n 10v at 10 ohm. This 10 ohm is a group of 10 100 ohm 5w dale wirewound, the temperature within these 10 are vary from 75c to 105c after 3 hours. This is what I'm a bit worry about. Is there any way I could even out the temperature ??
On Hv, I have 182v to Sala's reg. and 150v supply to 26, 145v on plate of 26. Since I have a very big heatsink for the Sala's reg. so the temperature is only around 30c after 3 hour. The square wave didn't look too good and will do some experiment this couple days.
Will upload some pics later.

Albert
Nice result Albert.
Check voltage across these resistors when temperature changes as I assume you are using them in a series parallel configuration. A more detailed description would be helpful, both channels react the same, which ones are hotter etc.
Regarding square waves on the scope, I could get them in a better shape, as well as removing a ringing at 70kHz from the ll1660, by using a 4,7k with 100nF acroos the output of the 1660, before the AVC I use at the output. I want to do more listening tests before I can comment as to this change is better or not but on the scope looks better.
Old 27th February 2012, 08:08 PM   #1665
vgeorge is offline vgeorge  Greece
diyAudio Member

FYI I get 85c at my resistors.
Old 27th February 2012, 08:40 PM   #1666
mogliaa is offline mogliaa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have same resistor stack as Andy mentioned and got about 80C
Old 27th February 2012, 09:37 PM   #1667
euro21 is offline euro21  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertli View Post
The square wave didn't look too good
My #26 preamp (220V SSHV2, Rod C. regulator, filament bias -11R-, 6mA cascode CCS, 2*0.22uF teflon coupling ) -3dB bandwith 2Hz-230kHz!
100kHz square wave rise- and fall time only 1us!

Last edited by euro21; 27th February 2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 28th February 2012, 03:03 AM   #1668
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjevans View Post
Albertli -

Regarding temperatures, in filament bias the 10 ohm resistors get hot. 100 degrees is not tragic - I think I was getting something like that. I mounted them on top of the chassis so there would be air around them. You can barely touch them - they run hot!! Mine are rated 50 watts (four 10 ohms in series/parallel)

andy
Andy,

Thanks and I'm going to have the 10 100 ohm 5w re-arranged. Will report.

Albert
Old 28th February 2012, 03:08 AM   #1669
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgeorge View Post
Nice result Albert.
Check voltage across these resistors when temperature changes as I assume you are using them in a series parallel configuration. A more detailed description would be helpful, both channels react the same, which ones are hotter etc.
Regarding square waves on the scope, I could get them in a better shape, as well as removing a ringing at 70kHz from the ll1660, by using a 4,7k with 100nF acroos the output of the 1660, before the AVC I use at the output. I want to do more listening tests before I can comment as to this change is better or not but on the scope looks better.
George,

The voltage across 2 groups L/R are quite the same. They are 9.6v/9.63v respectively, and I'll tune them back up to 10v after the configuration. The temperature different only happens amount/ within the 10 resistors at the same group.
Will try your zobal mod and report asap
Thanks

Albert
Old 28th February 2012, 03:11 AM   #1670
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro21 View Post
My #26 preamp (220V SSHV2, Rod C. regulator, filament bias -11R-, 6mA cascode CCS, 2*0.22uF teflon coupling ) -3dB bandwith 2Hz-230kHz!
100kHz square wave rise- and fall time only 1us!
Would love to know more, so I could learn more.
Are you with transformer coupled ???
Thanks

Albert

Hide this!Advertise here!