• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

just to give some more info.. If on one 26:
It maybe that heat on the plate is causing some tension/vibration on the inner structure of the 26. If it starts to "whistle" try putting your finger on it, gently pressing.. If the whistling diminishes, you know that it is a faulty tube that is susceptible to mechanical stress on the inner structure probably caused by heat..
Swap the 26 with the other one, if the problem moves with the 26.. well, you know..

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Isn't the OD3, now I have "bufff" sound like having a lot fr air pressure at loudspeakers, I changed to the old OD3 but Buff still continue, changed AZ1 but still the same issue, checked CCS and is OK 32,25mA for both channels

Checked all B+ and heaters filaments and all voltages are ok, B+ left channel 143V & right channel 147V, also filaments are Ok right channel 1,381V left channel 1,368V, voltage across cathode resistor right channel 8,82V left channel 9,26V:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I have a strange issue, after 2 or 3 hours of playback the #26 sounds but start to add to the song other not desired sound (exactly the kind of sound is like the end of a vinyl) once added this strange sound after 30 minutes or one hour start to sound a loud sound like 2 or 3kHz constant so I have to disconnect the preamp, any ideas to fix?

I had similer trouble on my 71A pre amp bfore.
That was direct coupling between two tubes.
Please try covered 26 with metal cans.

The purpose is to seal electrostatic noise as well as shielding direct coupling between two tubes. Additionally suppressing air-borne vibration is achievable.
Mechanical osillation (around 2kHZ) like a tuning fork occured on my naked experimental chassis.

Yes it is sensitive to the microphonics, so I built the amplifier in a stiff enclosure for shutting off air-born vibration and mounted 71A`s sub-chassis on to the main chassis via the rubber suspensions