#26 pre amp - Page 157 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2012, 01:47 PM   #1561
diyAudio Member

Burnedfingers:
Have you settled on a final schema ?
Old 8th February 2012, 12:33 AM   #1562
diyAudio Member

Still gathering parts. Going to shear my two pieces of copper plate into 4 pieces which means I now need to re-make the wooden cases I already had. I said I would make a true dual mono line stage so I will stick to it. I have my Filament regulators from Rod and two plate CCS's from K&K audio and my SSHV2 boards and parts that I just ordered yesterday. The transformers, tube sockets, and a variety of #26 tubes I have. Its just a matter of time and this is one project that I'm not going to let it get the best of me.

I'm still thinking about the VR tubes ahead of the SSHV2 board.
Old 8th February 2012, 12:55 AM   #1563
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Burnedfingers View Post
I'm still thinking about the VR tubes ahead of the SSHV2 board.
The purple glow looks pretty. But that's about the only thing they'll contribute if you implement the sshv2.
Old 8th February 2012, 01:20 AM   #1564
diyAudio Member

I like the look thats true. I also have to drop some voltage prior to SSHV2 stage so I have my choice of using VR's or resistors to drop some voltage.
Old 8th February 2012, 01:38 AM   #1565
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

I won't argue with that. I had a shunt reg in place before the VR tube, with better specs than the sshv2, low noise and all that, but I like the blue glow and the lower heat. Also, the volume needed to hear the noise of the VR tube is so high that I can't possibly listen to music. So... for now, I stay with the purple glow.

I still encourage you to try all that you wish and make up your own mind. IMHO, that's what diy is almost all about. You do what YOU want.
Old 8th February 2012, 01:46 AM   #1566
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
I like the look thats true. I also have to drop some voltage prior to SSHV2 stage so I have my choice of using VR's or resistors to drop some voltage.
If you use VR in series to drop voltage regulation will be worse than without it.
Old 8th February 2012, 05:38 AM   #1567
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
In the article he mentioned he used two (2K) 20 watt power resistors in series with a 100 mfd cap between them
This is the project I was referring to, I apologize that my memory of it wasn't quite right. He was using the electrolytic as sort of an ultrapath cathode bypass. My advice from the designer at the time was to just use a SS shunt and forget the VR tube, but..

It is interesting that your proposal of using a seprate CCS after the VR tube wasn't tried on that project, I have been thinking the past few days about how it would work. With the #26 it seems a promising experiement and as Ikoflexer said, this is an empirical game. The Ra of the #26 is high enough that the high ohm output impedance of the VR tube shouldn't hurt matters. Only negative I can think of at this point is this probably wouldn't work with the 4P1L (too much current, too low RA). But I think we would all be interested in your trials.
Old 8th February 2012, 11:27 AM   #1568
diyAudio Member

My power supply under consideration.

Just consider my transformer, caps, choke and VR stage as it will connect the the SSHV2 CCS board and EVERYTHING will be the same as the nicely drawn posted schematic in post 1552.

My supply will hook up to the circuit as shown in post 1552.

As I mentioned before there will be a power supply and filament supply for each channel. I will use Rods filament supply reg board, the SSHV2 after the VR and a K&K audio Cascode CCS plate load
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Power Supply #26.jpg (96.8 KB, 323 views)

Last edited by Original Burnedfingers; 8th February 2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 8th February 2012, 11:46 AM   #1569
diyAudio Member

Good stuff - thanks for sharing. I'll follow your PSU closely and see what you think of it.
Old 8th February 2012, 11:50 AM   #1570
diyAudio Member

I will be very appreciative for any help you might offer. This is all new to me as I have not played with CCS's in supplies and plate CCS's and heater regulators before. So please be easy on me for my stupid questions as I am trying to learn and I'm sure some of the learning will not be easy.

Hide this!Advertise here!