#26 pre amp - Page 150 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2012, 11:54 AM   #1491
работник
diyAudio Member

I like the multiple chassis plan.

Comments:

- where we have silicon rectifiers in a hybrid bridge, there may be some ringing in the transformer current during the turn-OFF of the rectifiers. The shape of the current pulse depends on the capacitance and inductance of the transformer, but it usually helps if you have 47nF (stacked MKT) and a series connected 47 to 100-ohm (carbon composition 0.5W) to snub out the pulses. If you can sense the dynamic current and view on a scope, you can optimise the values, but the ones given will work quite well in most cases. For the HV side a 1500V rated cap is required.

- If the Mallory caps are more than 5 years old, I would recommend avoiding them in audio circuits. Nothing sounds worse than stale Elkos. Mouser has Nichicon KX, and Panasonic TSHA/HB or TSUP and Farnell has the Panas, and these will be very hard to beat in the HV positions.

I think many folks like the IXYS FeTs in CCS circuit, so K & K's advice should be fine. I think that some IXYS types need a few more volts (gate-source) to regulate at 10mA. This is usually an advantage, since the lower cascode device then operates with higher Vds (means lower capacitance = better isolation).

Looks like you are ready to start building.... enjoy the work!
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:58 AM   #1492
работник
diyAudio Member

For the Filament raw dc, the snubbers are connected as in the diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: png FW_PSU.png (48.1 KB, 372 views)
Old 2nd January 2012, 02:05 PM   #1493
diyAudio Member

Rod,

Thanks for the reply.

If I understand you correctly I need to build the filament supply to what you posted/schematic.

Don't know if I quite understand the change to the power HV supply. Is there another way for me to make it that would be better? Would like to stay with a tube rectifier but to be honest I haven't used a transformer without a CT before so this is all I could think of.
Old 2nd January 2012, 02:18 PM   #1494
diyAudio Member

Is this what I need to do for the high voltage supply?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #26 line stage power supply 2.jpg (85.5 KB, 341 views)
Old 2nd January 2012, 02:30 PM   #1495
mogliaa is offline mogliaa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yes, have a look at my 26 preamp HT supply here. I recommend adding a shunt regulator (e.g. Salas) for a quieter preamp

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/190857-4p1l-dht-line-stage-post2806229.html

Cheers, Ale
Old 2nd January 2012, 02:32 PM   #1496
diyAudio Member

Apologies, posted the wrong URL. Have a look at post 168 of the 4P1L thread...
Old 2nd January 2012, 03:03 PM   #1497
работник
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Burnedfingers View Post
Is this what I need to do for the high voltage supply?
Yes, that looks good. The Fairchild UF4007 works well in this position.

With the RC-snubber, I believe that the hybrid bridge works just as well as the tube rectified full-wave circuit.

We are in good company, too:
Lundahl Transformers - Hybrid power supply
Old 2nd January 2012, 03:30 PM   #1498
diyAudio Member

Ok, if I build the filament supply per your changes on the schematic you posted it will be good to go. Right?

Second, the changes to the HV supply the RC snubber and that will be good also.

Waiting to hear back on some CCS boards the IXYS fets you told me to go with.

Thinking along the lines of copper base plate with maybe Walnut base for the line stage chassis.

I appreciate the input and improvements that you told me about. I really feel like the humming #26 will finally get completed and I can complete a project that I started years ago.

One more thing.... should I be thinking about a AZ1 rectifier instead of the #80 I was going to use?
Old 2nd January 2012, 03:38 PM   #1499
работник
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ok, if I build the filament supply per your changes on the schematic you posted it will be good to go. Right?
Yes. Be sure to use the Hammond choke (28mH at 3A) to ensure that it bucks the voltage down to about 17V.

Quote:
Second, the changes to the HV supply the RC snubber and that will be good also.

Waiting to hear back on some CCS boards the IXYS fets you told me to go with.

Thinking along the lines of copper base plate with maybe Walnut base for the line stage chassis.
Copper base will be useful as well as beautiful. May need varnish or some protection though!

Quote:
I appreciate the input and improvements that you told me about. I really feel like the humming #26 will finally get completed and I can complete a project that I started years ago.

One more thing.... should I be thinking about a AZ1 rectifier instead of the #80 I was going to use?
We should not have to tolerate humming 26s any more! Many builders here have got this right now.

I haven't compared the AZ1, but I know that some contributors have tried them.
Old 2nd January 2012, 03:39 PM   #1500
diyAudio Member

Not necessarily. The 80 is a great rectifier. No need to go for an AZ1 unless you have a mesh one around :-)

Hide this!Advertise here!