• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

Is the same problem present on L and R?

This is certainly not expected.

More check points:

- C3 is certainly connected to R8 and R5?
- R5 is 150R?
- R8 is certainly 3.3K?
- Voltage between supply+ and filament + is 2.1 to 2.4V?
- No oscillation on C1.

If no progress, please send me a close-up photo of the Regulator, preferably both sides of the board.

More check points:

- C3 is certainly connected to R8 and R5? Yes!
- R5 is 150R? Yes(Brn-Gr-Brn-Gold)
- R8 is certainly 3.3K? Yes (Orng-Orng-Red)
- Voltage between supply+ and filament + is 2.1 to 2.4V?No (L channel=3.4, R=3.6)
- No oscillation on C1. Not sure as it is not accessible.

If no progress, please send me a close-up photo of the Regulator, preferably both sides of the board.

I will disconnect the regulator and take pics.

Abe

Extract RCA TT4

Abe, I can't send you the whole book as its 13 megabytes, However I am sending you here the relevant pages as an extract (5 pages) covering Choke/Capacitor relationships in power supplies. As I said it may point you in a different direction

Hello,

Thanks. Please email it to me. I sent you a PM for my address.

Abe

Attachments

• Extract RCA TT4 page 73.JPG
    Extract RCA TT4 page 73.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 372
  • Extract RCA TT4 page 74.JPG
    Extract RCA TT4 page 74.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 364
  • Extract RCA TT4 page 75 JPG.JPG
    Extract RCA TT4 page 75 JPG.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 358
  • Extract RCA TT4 page 76 JPG.JPG
    Extract RCA TT4 page 76 JPG.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 357
  • Extract RCA TT4 page 77 JPG.JPG
    Extract RCA TT4 page 77 JPG.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 350

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
If I were you this is what I'd do.

1) work on one channel only
2) disconnect the filament regulator and replace it with a simple filtered 12V supply. If you have a computer supply it'll do. Or, power the filament from a 1.5V lab supply and bias the grid with a 9V battery. If it's still oscillating then it's the HV regulator that's got a problem. If it's not oscillating, then it's the filament regulator that needs fixing.

What I'm saying is, leave high quality aspirations aside for a moment, you're in debug mode now. Divide and conquer.

Abe, I can't send you the whole book as its 13 megabytes, However I am sending you here the relevant pages as an extract (5 pages) covering Choke/Capacitor relationships in power supplies. As I said it may point you in a different direction

Hello,

Thanks for this! I tried understanding it but I am afraid I do not have a grasp of what it means.

My circuit is a AZ1 tube(I have 4Vac for filament). From spec sheet, I assume I am operating at about 2x300 V (Va max) and 100mA (Ia max). I am using a Hammond 250-0-250 power transformer.

After the tube, I have 20H then 47uF, then 10H, then 47uF, then 0.36H, then 47uF. Do you think there's something wrong as far as the L and C values according to the excerpts that you sent me?

Thanks,

Abe

More check points:

- C3 is certainly connected to R8 and R5?
- R5 is 150R?
- R8 is certainly 3.3K?
- Voltage between supply+ and filament + is 2.1 to 2.4V?
- No oscillation on C1.

Hello Rod,
I sent pics to your email. Just in case, here they are.
Below are pics of two identical reg boards. The one with the heatsink was disconnected from the preamp. Second pic shows the underside. They are identical as far as components(omitting the transistors of course).
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Below is a pic that shows the ground point on the main chassis. here, IEC, 0V, chassis, and cable shields connects to. The IEC from PSU chassis is taken here through the umbilical. The chassis connected to this point as well(which connects to IEC) is taken back to the PSU chassis through the umbilical.

The umbilical(8 pin)wiring is: +1 and -1(filament 1), +4 and -4 (filament 2), +3 and -3(B+, 0V), +2 and -2(chassis and shield, IEC GND). The last pic is the PSU chassis.

Abe, please send me the whole circuit diagram so I can look at it. I am sure there is a problem that will only show up on close examination

Hello,

Thanks for this! I tried understanding it but I am afraid I do not have a grasp of what it means.

My circuit is a AZ1 tube(I have 4Vac for filament). From spec sheet, I assume I am operating at about 2x300 V (Va max) and 100mA (Ia max). I am using a Hammond 250-0-250 power transformer.

After the tube, I have 20H then 47uF, then 10H, then 47uF, then 0.36H, then 47uF. Do you think there's something wrong as far as the L and C values according to the excerpts that you sent me?

Thanks,

Abe

If I were you this is what I'd do.

1) work on one channel only
2) disconnect the filament regulator and replace it with a simple filtered 12V supply. If you have a computer supply it'll do. Or, power the filament from a 1.5V lab supply and bias the grid with a 9V battery. If it's still oscillating then it's the HV regulator that's got a problem. If it's not oscillating, then it's the filament regulator that needs fixing.

What I'm saying is, leave high quality aspirations aside for a moment, you're in debug mode now. Divide and conquer.

Agreed! I just do not have a power supply on hand. I will try to see if I can buy one tomorrow as Ebay takes longer.

thanks!

Abe

Hello Rod,
I sent pics to your email. Just in case, here they are.
Below are pics of two identical reg boards. The one with the heatsink was disconnected from the preamp. Second pic shows the underside. They are identical as far as components(omitting the transistors of course).

Below is a pic that shows the ground point on the main chassis. here, IEC, 0V, chassis, and cable shields connects to. The IEC from PSU chassis is taken here through the umbilical. The chassis connected to this point as well(which connects to IEC) is taken back to the PSU chassis through the umbilical.

The umbilical(8 pin)wiring is: +1 and -1(filament 1), +4 and -4 (filament 2), +3 and -3(B+, 0V), +2 and -2(chassis and shield, IEC GND). The last pic is the PSU chassis.

What's with the big blob of solder next to Q2 in the first picture? Is that contacting the body of the cap C1 next to it?

Q1 also looks like it has a solder blob not wetting the pad below it. Try cleaning those up.

Last edited:
Hello Guys!

Great news, I figured out what was wrong. It was not the extra filter cap at the filament reg board input using a long umbilical cord. It was the grounding of the individual filament raw DC supply.

Apparently, as stupid as I can be, I had the Negative and Positive raw DC supply outputs cris-crossed between the two floating supply! One positive is using the negative of the other! I found the culprit it at the umbilical cord connector.

Now, I am trying to optimize filament raw DC value as recommended to be around 16.5 to 18.5V.

To Rod, Andy, Iko, James(CV6045), Felipe, Magz, regal, nicoch58, and Tony. Thank you very much for your help and patience! Much much appreciated.

Cheers!

Abe

Good!!!! what a learning experience, I bet you know your way that amp with a blindfold on...... enjoy many hours of listening..........

Hello Guys!

Great news, I figured out what was wrong. It was not the extra filter cap at the filament reg board input using a long umbilical cord. It was the grounding of the individual filament raw DC supply.

Apparently, as stupid as I can be, I had the Negative and Positive raw DC supply outputs cris-crossed between the two floating supply! One positive is using the negative of the other! I found the culprit it at the umbilical cord connector.

Now, I am trying to optimize filament raw DC value as recommended to be around 16.5 to 18.5V.

To Rod, Andy, Iko, James(CV6045), Felipe, Magz, regal, nicoch58, and Tony. Thank you very much for your help and patience! Much much appreciated.

Cheers!

Abe

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hello Guys!

Cheers!

Abe

Great:)