#26 pre amp - Page 118 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2011, 07:26 AM   #1171
работник
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjevans View Post
Is that some sort of copper tape around the chokes? Details please!

Does this cut down on hum in chokes and the 26 tubes? What did you find?

Andy
I use this, too, to get electrostatic screening into tight corners.

Chomerics tape can make a reliably conductive joint - the adhesive is also conductive.

It's fiercely expensive,though:

CHOMERICS|CCH-18-301-0100|TAPE, ADHESIVE, COPPER, 25.4MM | Farnell United Kingdom
Old 5th September 2011, 10:16 AM   #1172
hihopes is offline hihopes  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default 26's to spare?

Hey, does any kind soul have a couple of pairs of various decent 26's to spare? Or perhaps know of somewhere I can get them for a decent price? (Besides E-BAY. Been watching that for a while.).
I will be happy to pay for them (via Paypal). I really, really want to hear for myself this "magic" so many talk about. You can PM me if you'd rather not post on the forum.
Old 5th September 2011, 10:23 AM   #1173
diyAudio Member

BTW, a lot of people have said they are not mad about the sound of LED biasing. I wasn't either, until I tried bypassing the LED string with quite large value low ESR caps. WOW! Different beast. It worked on IDHT's, and even better on 4P1L DHT's too. The new polymer caps are good for this. I used Oscon SEP's 330uF 16v. It seems the better the quality of the valve, the more you have to gain by doing this. I would love to hear the outcome if someone could try it on a 26 preamp or gainstage. You can also bypass the bypass caps with good foil caps for yet another step up in sound. Really worth a try IMHO.
Regards,
William.
Old 5th September 2011, 11:09 AM   #1174
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hihopes View Post
Hey, does any kind soul have a couple of pairs of various decent 26's to spare? Or perhaps know of somewhere I can get them for a decent price? (Besides E-BAY. Been watching that for a while.).
I will be happy to pay for them (via Paypal). I really, really want to hear for myself this "magic" so many talk about. You can PM me if you'd rather not post on the forum.
andyjevans have some ST type for sale
FS: 6SN7 JAN black glass tubes + DHTs
Old 5th September 2011, 12:33 PM   #1175
diyAudio Member

I have a small number of 26 ST, but I'd also recommend 01A and 30 special. I have loads of those so interesting prices. Andy
Old 6th September 2011, 05:16 PM   #1176
FRUGIVO is offline FRUGIVO  Spain
diyAudio Member

inside the star #26Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th September 2011, 03:15 PM   #1177
diyAudio Member

I hope you didn't drop that on the floor, frugivo!

Has anyone tried loading the 26 plate by any other means than resistor or trafo/choke? (Sorry if it has been posted already, but I really can't face wading through all those posts again!)
Old 8th September 2011, 04:03 PM   #1178
diyAudio Member

Hi!

I guess the 26 has been loaded by just about everything possible: transformers, chokes, CCS, triodes and pentodes for SRPP, mu-follower, mu stage etc.

For me as preamp output only transformer coupling with step down ratio really makes sense with a 26. All else will lead to a too high output impedance for a preamp.

Different story if this is a stage within say a power amp, with controlled, not to low impedance to drive and no cable lengths. I would still prefer transformer coupling in this case but could also live with choke loading. All the other schemes are not really to my taste. Have not tried them all with a 26 though (but with other tubes)

Best regards

Thomas
Old 8th September 2011, 04:04 PM   #1179
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRUGIVO View Post
inside the star #26Click the image to open in full size.
As a long time proponent and user of the 26 I am always amazed that such a crude device performs and sounds as good as it does.. (I designed and built my first 26 based transformer coupled line stage 11yrs ago..)
Old 8th September 2011, 04:11 PM   #1180
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

In terms of reducing hum pick up with the 26, 01, 12, etc in line stage applications I have found it mandatory to use electro-static shielding cans around the tubes. This of course hides them, but also effectively prevents electro-static coupling between the tube's plate and surrounding metal objects potentially with stray AC currents on them. You can find knock offs of the Western Electric style cans on eBay from time to time, that's where I got mine.

Hide this!Advertise here!